Monday, May 18, 2015

themusicaddict's Quick Reviews, "Homeland", Daredevil", Brian Wilson's New CD and Other Entertainment

Hello,

Quick reviews on music, movies and television shows that I've experienced recently.

Television:

Starting with the Netflix superhero show "Daredevil". Although I'm tired of all the recent superhero movies and TV shows, "Daredevil" looked intriguing enough that I thought I'd give it a shot. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Spread over 13 episodes the story played out at a good pace, it was rarely predictable and for the most part I agreed with Daredevil's actions. One of my all-time favorite actors is Vincent D'Onofrio, so I loved that he played Wilson Fisk. Fisk is one bad dude, but D'onofrio brings out his more human characteristics. The only thing I didn't like about this show is that it was too violent. Both Daredevil and Fisk issue beat downs that went well beyond necessary.

I also love Vondie-Curtis Hall as the very good newspaperman Ben Ulrich. Also the opening sequence naming all the characters etc is one of my favorite openings ever. The animation with the partially complete bridge and the haunting music is excellent. It's much cooler on a big screen:


"Daredevil" overall is a very good show, I look forward to Season 2. I give it a solid B.

"Homeland", in it's fourth season the show is showing it's age. Although I'll probably watch the fifth season, this show shouldn't have a sixth season. The thing I'll always regret about this show is how Season 1 should have ended. If only Brody had been able to detonate the bomb at the end of that season, it would have easily been the best season in the history of television. Plus it would have saved the show those two extra seasons he stayed with the show. Season 4: Grade C.

"Broadchurch" Season 2, I watched the first couple episodes of this and that was enough. Grade: D.

Music:

I've listened to Brian Wilson's new CD "No Pier Pressure" a few times in the last few days. I'm really liking the CD. The songs are originals with Wilson and guest stars. The songs are great, the guests he invites on the CD are great and this is the most relaxing CD I've heard in the last several years. Great songs include: "On The Island" and many other songs. Grade: B+

Movies:

"Ask Me Anything": Grade C- The best thing about this movie is the solid soundtrack, highlighted by a series of unknown female singers. Soundtrack: B-.

"A.C.O.D." (Adult Children of Divorce), Grade: B- Not the best movie ever, but good enough. The story is heartfelt and humorous.

"The Identical"- New to Netflix with a decent cast, this movie doesn't live up to it's pedigree. This is a movie you can skip. Grade: D.

"Drinking Buddies": A perfectly average movie, grade C.

"Tears of the Sun"- a Bruce Willis movie that I thought would be a complete throwaway. However it was any thing but that. Willis is fantastic in this movie, playing his character with the perfect mix of humanity and gruffness. Also Monica Belluci does a great job as well. Her acting is excellent and she still manages to look good despite the wet, jungle environment. Although the movie is brutal in it's portrayal of genocide in Nigeria, it also has a very hopeful spirit to it. It would never have qualified for any Oscars, but overall a very solid movie. Grade: B, I highly recommend this movie to all that love a great movie and aren't too squeamish.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites