Saturday, May 2, 2015

What Are The Greatest One Hit Wonders Ever? Here Are A Few.

Hello,

Number in parenthesis is a song's peak position according to Billboard.

My criteria for a themusicaddict one hit wonder isn't if an artist only had one hit, but that it has to be a truly great song also. For instance, Led Zeppelin didn't have a lot of "hits", however they have dozens of amazing songs. Led Zeppelin most definitely doesn't qualify. Grateful Dead only had one "hit", I do like "Touch of Grey" (#9), but I just never got the whole Dead vibe. So they qualify by my criteria. According to Billboard.com Sinead O'Connor only had two hits "Nothing Compares 2U"(#1) and "Emperor's New Clothes" (#60). don't even count a song that only hit #60 as a hit. So by my criteria she would qualify, but I just can't include her here. Miss O'Connor has just too many great songs.

To be considered a hit is to at least reach the Top 20 and be memorable. So although they have two top ten hits, The Cutting Crew qualify as a one hit wonder. Their first number one hit is "I've Been In Love Before" (#9), but did you remember that song before seeing it here? Either did I. But I do remember "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" (#1).


I'm using my iPod, my memory, Wayne Jancik's Billboard Book of One-Hit Wonders and Billboard's official website to compile this blog. As of now these songs are in no particular order, but I may go back and change that later.

Joan Osborne's "One Of Us" (#4):


Dexys Midnight Runner's "Come On Eileen" (#1):


The non-hit one hit wonders:

According to Billboard The Proclaimers had no hits, but when "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" (NR) first came out it was all over the place. themusicaddict has decided, this is a hit:



Modern English's "I Melt With You" (#76):



Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" (#46):


Guess what decade? Waitresses "I Know What Boys Like" (#62) (I'd forgotten how quickly this song becomes annoying.):



Back to the one hit wonders.

Ennio Morricone's "The Good The Bad and The Ugly"(#2):


Zager and Evans "In The Year 2525" (#1):


After The Fire "Der Kommissar"(#5):


The Grateful Dead's "Touch of Grey (#9)":



Truly a one hit wonder, but the same song was a hit twice. Got that? It peaked at #11 in 1980 and #20 in 1989. I'm pretty sure he released the song at least a third time. Benny Mardones'  "Into The Night":


One of the 80's sexiest songs, Gregory Abbott's "Shake You Down" (#1):



Tommy Tutone's "867-5309/Jenny"(#4):



Georgia Satelites "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" (#2):



Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" (#1):



Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians "What I Am" (#7):



Guess the decade! Starland Vocal Band "Afternoon Delight" (#1):



Haddaway's "What Is Love": (#11):



Tom Cochrane's "Life Is A Highway" (#6):

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites