Monday, February 15, 2016

themusicaddict's Top 104 80's Greatest Bands of All-Time: The Honorable Mentions (Updated February 23rd, 2016)

Hello,

Updated February 28th, 2016. I knew that I would forget some bands. All four of these musicians deserve at least a honorable mention: The Jets, Vanessa Williams, Klymaxx and James Taylor (his 80s output wasn't that great).

This has been updated as I remembered both The Pointer Sisters and En Vogue- you'll be seeing them in my next top 104 80's bands of all-time.

This was inspired by someone asking me a question at a Valentine's Party. I was teasing her about her music selection, a lot of OMD, so she asked me my Top Ten 80's bands. Since I had a lot of free time at work, I was able to come up with this list. I honestly was quite surprised with some of my own choices.

The reason I didn't list the Eagles in my rankings is because their last studio CD for several years, the excellent "The Long Run" was released in 1979. They released a live CD "Eagles Live" in 1980, but that's basically a live greatest hits CD. The Eagles released three other Greatest Hits CDs in the 80s. Although they are still active in some form, R.I.P Glenn Frey, they were never really a "80's band". If I ever write a 70's Greatest Bands of All-Time. They'll definitely be very high on that list. A lot of other bands fit that same criteria, for instance Fleetwood Mac (I've been loving "Rumors" lately), Yes, Paul Simon, Diana Ross, The Clash and Genesis.

In alphabetic order:

Anita Baker:


Big Audio Dynamite:



Neneh Cherry:


The Clash- yes I know they are a much loved band, but they never moved the needle much for me:


Sheena Easton:


Fleetwood Mac:


Samantha Fox:


Aretha Franklin:


Firehouse:


Genesis:


Don Henley:


Iron Maiden:


J. Geils Band:


The Jets:



Joe Jackson:


Joan Jett and the Blackhawks:


Klymaxx:



Kool and The Gang:


LL Cool J:


Martika:


Men At Work:


Missing Persons:


New Order:


Quarterflash:


Diana Ross:


Paul Simon:


Rick Springfield:


James Taylor, with J.D. Souther:



"Never Die Young":



"That's Why I'm Here":



Tesla:


Vanessa Williams:



Yes:



themusicaddict

1 comment:

Justin M said...

A crazy amount of amazing music came out of the 80s!

Favorites