Wednesday, February 3, 2016

themusicaddict's CD Review Blog, February 3rd, 2016 featuring Rihanna's "Anti" (Updated March 13th, 2016)

Hello,

I have two other CD review blogs that I'm slowly working through, they'll be eventually finished. Upcoming CD's to be reviewed:

1) Rihanna's "Anti"- I was excited for this CD, then I heard some of it. My enthusiasm died quickly. Highlights: "Consideration" is the only highlight. This CD has yet another unneeded collaboration with a rapper, "Work" featuring an auto tuned Drake. I love Rihanna, but this song sucks. Drake's addition to this song drags the song down even more. A bunch of songs, like "Desperado" and "Woo" go nowhere. An updated version of the Eagles classic would have been much more interesting than this "Desperado".  Some of the songs are so boring that they're offensive. That would be songs like "Work", "Needed Me" and "Yeah I Said It". "Same Ol' Mistakes" is 6:37 of boredom with too much repeating. "Never Ending" feels as long as the title suggests. Where are the bangers like "(Only Girl) In The World"? This CD is a boring slog, it will be quickly forgotten. Grade: F

Her previous CD "Unapologetic" was much better. A solid mix of ballads and upbeat songs. Why does she not have any more upbeat songs on this CD? "Diamonds", "Jump" and "Right Now" are all solid upbeat songs. "What Now", "Stay" are solid ballads. Even "Nobody's Business", with Rihanna beater Chris Brown, is a pretty solid song. Grade: B-

I know she'll never top "Good Girl Gone Bad", but "Anti" is probably her worse CD by far. Even her first two CDs, when she was just beginning her career, were much better than this depressingly downbeat CD. And I say this as a big Rihanna fan!

2) Chris Stapleton's "Traveller"- For me this CD came pretty much out of nowhere. I hadn't even heard of him until he won a bunch of country music awards.

3) Sia's "This Is Acting": I've already blogged about this CD, so you can probably guess what my grade is going to be. However I still decided to give it an actual review.

4) Girl Band's "Holding Hands With Jamie"- this CD finished #5 on Time's (yes that Time) top 10 CDs of the year. Honestly I'm not sure why.

5) Click Five's "Modern Times and Pastimes": I've listened to this twice already and I'm really liking it. Good grade coming soon.

6) Megadeth's "Dystopia":

7) Bloc Party's "Hymns": Wow, incredibly disappointing. No pulse.

8) Elton John's "Wonderful Crazy Night" (Out February 5th): I read in Rolling Stone that for this CD he decided to go back in time to the 70s. My favorite Elton John 70's song is probably "Island Girl", and a lot of songs on this CD have that same feeling.  This CD starts off with the joyous "Wonderful Crazy Night". Other highlights include "Looking Up", "Guilty Pleasure" and "England and America".

9) Franz Ferdinand Sparks' "FFS" (Deluxe Edition) It's okay. Highlights: "Piss Off" and "Johnny Delusionaly".

10) Panic At The Disco's "Death of a Bachelor":

11) The Cult's "Hidden City" (Out February 5th) At least this CD has a pulse. Highlights include "Dark Energy", "Hinterland" and "In Blood".

12) Ra Ra Riot "Need Your Love" I've listened a lot to this CD in my car and I've quite enjoyed it. A more formal review is on the way.

13) The 1975's "I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it":

themusicaddict


No comments:

Favorites