Tuesday, February 23, 2016

themusicaddict's Top 106 Greatest 80's Bands: Part 2: 106-104 (Finished February 27th, 2016)

Hello,

A bad thing about writing these kind of all-encompassing blogs is that invariably I'll forget someone. Well I realized this morning that I had forgotten Neil Diamond, Christopher Cross and James Taylor. Taylor has bad an amazing career, but he was pretty much on the oldies circuit in the 80's. Thus he only earns an honorable mention spot. You'll see both Diamond, who had an extremely productive early 80s, and Cross sooner rather than later.

This started out with 102 bands plus over a couple of dozen honorable mentions. I spent several hours working on this project so that I wouldn't miss any bands. Although I knew that I would still miss some bands. Not only that, but I'll probably stumble across a few more bands that will be added. If you disagree with these rankings, I understand. I look at some of my own choices and I disagree. But sadly I only have so much time to work on my blog. Now if someone wants to pay me $40,000 a year to do it, then I'll be glad to focus more time on my blog. :)

For the purposes of the rankings for this blog I considered a band's entire career, but I'm focused mostly on what they released in the 80s. For the this specific blog, I'll be posting mostly music released in the 80s. Mostly being the key word.

After doing a little research I realized that En Vogue really isn't an 80's band per se. Although they started in 1989, they didn't have big time success until 1992's "Funky Divas". That CD went on to sell more than 5 million copies. En Vogue has a very 80's feel to them so I'm going to keep them here. They would sound in their element along side Michael, Janet, Prince and all the other great r&b, soul, funk acts of the 80's.

According to Wikipedia En Vogue will be releasing a new CD in the first quarter of 2016, other than a couple of small mentions about it I couldn't find any more references. I listened a bit to their 2000 CD "Masterpiece Theatre"- I could only handle about 3 songs. Very boring and dreary. I know I should listen to the whole CD at least a couple of times before passing on an opinion, but I don't have time to listen to music that bores me.

To prepare for writing this part of my blog, I've been listening to En Vogue's classic "Funky Divas". As with all these songs a lot of good memories. 106) En Vogue:

I wasn't aware that En Vogue was on this song either, Salt-n-Papa's "Whatta Man":


"Free Your Mind":


"Love Don't Love You":


"My Lovin' (You're Never Going To Get It)":


The funked up "Yesterday":


105) Echo and the Bunnymen:

"Lips Like Sugar":


"The Killing Moon":


"The Cutter":


"Bring On The Dancing Horses":


"People Are Strange":


104) The Pointer Sisters:

"Fire":



"Slow Hand":



"Automatic":



"Jump (For My Love):



"I'm So Excited":



"Dare Me":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites