Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Beach Boys, Brian Wilson and the Dubious Classic Status of "Pet Sounds" On It's 50th Anniversary

Hello,

I've long heard how great of a CD "Pet Sounds" is, Brian Wilson even is touring with it during it's 50th year anniversary. I'm a big time Beach Boys fan, I think they have written some of the most sublime songs in the history of music. How can one question the band that has released such classics as "Fun, Fun, Fun", "California Girls", "Surfin' U.S.A.", "Help Me Rhonda", "Barbara Ann", "I Get Around", "Good Vibrations" and "Surfer Girl"?

"Pet Sounds" features some of The Beach Boys best ever songs. That includes two of my favorites "Wouldn't It Be Good" and "God Only Knows" and my theme song "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times". But this CD also has some real clunkers. Songs such as "You Still Believe In Me", "That's Not Me", "I'm Waiting For The Day" and the boring ballad "Let's Go Away For Awhile" call into question that this CD is indeed a classic. Indeed while listening to this CD on Google Play, I only gave the thumbs up to 6 of the 13 songs. In themusicaddict's opinion this CD isn't even close to being a classic. As much music as I've bought over the years, the fact that I never bought this CD should tell you all you need to know about my opinion of it.

"Pet Sounds":
1) "Wouldn't It Be Nice":
2) "You Still Believe In Me":
3) "That's Not Me":
4) "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)":
5) "I'm Waiting For The Day":
6) "Let's Get Away For Awhile" (Instrumental):
7) "Sloop John B":
8) "God Only Knows":
9) "I Know There's An Answer":
10) "Here Today":
11) "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times":
12) "Pet Sounds" (Instrumental)";
13)"Caroline, No"


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites