Tuesday, May 30, 2017

My Top 106 (And Counting) Greatest 80's Era Bands of All-Time (Review) (Updated May 31st, 2017) (Part 1)

Hello,

This is a review of the bands covered so far on my Top 106 Greatest 80's era bands of all-time. From the time I started this series of blogs, that original 106 bands has expanded by a few more. Somehow I had forgotten bands like Meat Loaf. Other bands I had considered briefly only to not include them in my countdown, which was a mistake with Queen. I considered them a mostly 70's band, but they were still turning out great music during the 80s. Below are the honorable mentions for greatest 80's era bands of all-time.

Honorable mentions in alphabetical order with songs by selected musicians: Anita Baker, Big Audio Dynamite, Neneh Cherry, "Kisses On The Wind":


The Clash- yes I know they are a much loved band, but they never moved the needle much for me. Also Sheena Easton "For Your Eyes Only":


Fleetwood Mac, Samantha Fox, Aretha Franklin, Firehouse, Genesis, Don Henley, Iron Maiden, J. Geils Band "Love Stinks":


The Jets, Joe Jackson, Joan Jett and the Blackhawks, Klymaxx, Kool and The Gang, LL Cool and Martika "Cross My Heart"


Men At Work, Missing Persons "Destination Unknown":


New Order, Night Ranger, Quarterflash, Diana Ross, Paul Simon, Rick Springfield, James Taylor, Tesla, The Tubes (just stumbled across their greatest hits and remembered how many great songs they had), Dionne Warwick, Vanessa Williams and Yes.

Vanessa Williams "Save The Best For Last":


While reviewing this review I discovered a few things. One thing is the way that I introduced each band has changed in the several months since I started it. For my 106th band, En Vogue, I only added videos for 5 of their songs- those were songs I knew right off. Now I go through and listen to each song and then rank all songs that score about a certain threshold. If I'd started with that methodology from the beginning, I would probably have a few more songs for En Vogue on my rankings. For now I'm going to finish the countdown that I'm on probably until I finish it. But while I'm doing that I'm going to get all the bands and their songs into countdown mode. When I finish both processes I'm going to go through and present my actual Top 115ish 80's Era Bands.

Addendum bands, bands that will be added to the final and revised rankings. These are bands that I left off for some reason, usually not a good reason. They are Sade, Linda Ronstadt, Queen, Aerosmith, Toto, Meat Loaf, Night Ranger and I'll probably add a few more along the way. When I have currently written in parenthesis, that means I'm going to go back and update information about that band.

106) En Vogue (currently 5 songs)
105) Echo and The Bunnymen (currently 5 songs)
104) The Pointer Sisters (currently 6 songs)
103) Fine Young Cannibals (currently 5 songs)
102) "Alice Cooper" (currently 6 songs)
101) Christopher Cross (currently 6 songs)
100) Simple Minds (currently 7 songs)
99) The Hooters (currently 9 songs)
98) Talking Heads (currently 15 songs, this band will probably stay around this number)

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites