Saturday, September 25, 2010

Joe Hill's "20th Century Ghost", Go Cougars!!!

Hello,

Here's what I've written in my goodreads.com account about Joe Hill's "20th Century Ghost" so far. I've read the first two of the fifteen short stories so far.

Honestly I'm not that big of a fan of short stories. This normally isn't the kind of a book I would read. However I made an exception for this short story collection after I read his two other books, "Horns" and "Heart Shaped Box". Joe Hill is an amazing writer. There's equal part horror, spookiness and feeling for his characters. These are real people in these otherworldy challenges. There's also a sweet love story in both of his novels.

In this short story collection, I've read the first two short stories so far. The first is "Best New Horror" about a really freaky horror writer. This is one of those that has a story within the story and both are extremely creepy.

The second short story is "20th Century Ghost", a novel about a ghost that haunts an old movie house. Again strange and spooky, with a dash of uncomfortable "romance" thrown in.

Also I had the misfortune of reading the first 20 pages of "The Vampire Diaries", Book 1. It makes another high school based vampire series, "Twilight" look hyper literate. That's not a slam against the "Twilight" series, because I liked those books very much. However "The Vampire Diaries" is for vapid teenagers and no one else. Most teenagers that I know I know are down to earth, so the vapid teenager demographic is very small.

themusicaddict is taking his two boys to see the Nevada-BYU game, it could get ugly quickly for the Cougars. Wish us luck on at least seeing a good game.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites