Thursday, September 23, 2010

MLB playoffs: Who should I root for?, "AI" judges and Please let this be the last season of "AI".

Hello,

Yesterday was the big announcement of who's going to be the judges for season 10 of "American Idol". My reaction to the non-announcement press conference: yawn. Who the new judges were going to be, was that a surprise to anyone? Hearing the three names, did that surprise anyone? Did anyone care on the 3rd or 4th season anniversary of "AI" jumping the shark? Did it give you a sense of excitement in that the show may be good again? How long do you think Steven Tyler will last? I don't think he's going to make it the whole season. I think the job is probably tougher than it looks. Although I did realize that Randy Jackson is the only person I know of worse at his job than Wade Phillips.

Also with Methuselah, uh I mean Steven Tyler, as one of the judges I have a crazy idea. Why don't we have the judges in the same age range as the contestants? Or does that make too much sense.

After the non-surprise of the judging panel I read the comments on ew.com. My favorite comment was the person that said (paraphrasing) "Are they going to have a press conference to announce that the contestants will be singing?" Very funny.

I like that there'll be no genre themes. (Although my Mom did say that the judges will still tell the Idols they chose the wrong song.) The producers will be choosing a decade, I just realized won't they run out of decades pretty quickly. Here's a crazy idea just let them choose whatever song they want. Also the contestants may be able to sing original tunes this year. I think that's a great idea. It's like letting them play an instrument, it just brings out another side of them. For me, (not to be confused with Randy's infernal for me, for you.) that's all the more interesting than a back story which Fox plays for all it's worth.

A permanent mentor, I don't know what I think about that idea. Jimmy Iovine, is he going to be as bad as crusty, seemingly on life support Clive Davis and still living on past glories? Not sure what to think about that. The producers are thinking about doing something about whether the Idols can play instruments or not. Also another question, Timbaland coming in to help the Idols. Timbaland didn't really help out Chris Cornell did he?

According to the excellent "Idol" blog, mjsbigblog.com: "Nigel wants to bring the focus back to the talent, rather than making decisions based on the ratings." If you're anything like me, you thought yeah right. Again Fox is one of the most obvious examples of corporate America stupidity. The only way they keep score is by how much money they make. Don't kid yourself. Inherent in Nigel's statement, is that the ratings has played into some decisions more than talent. Oh is that how Danny Gokey and David Archuleta did so well? I don't think the talent they are referring too is pandering.

I have 4 MLB teams that I'm a pretty big fan of. The first team I fell in love with was the LA Dodgers. Back in the Tommy Lasorda and Steve Garvey days. Like then I thought this was going to a good season for them. However Joe Torre has seem disinterested. When Manny was being Manny, unfortunately it was the bad Manny. Also the alleged owners (they are the Wade Phillips of MLB owners) the McCourts are battling out in an LA court room about their divorce, with the Dodgers being the kid that's in dispute. They are a disgrace to the Dodgers and let's hope the judge makes them sell the team. According to SI, they paid someone $150,000 a year to do their hair for them everyday.

Also the Dodgers offense has been anemic, never have I seen a team with so many 0 and 1 run games, in fact they only scored 1 run in their game last night. Too put that in perspective, at the start of the game you have 0 runs. I hope LA takes all that money they paid to Manny Ramirez last year, $20 million, and split it between two sluggers and punch up that inept offense. The players have stopped pretending like they care about winning, they are 3-7 in their last 10 games. The season cannot end soon enough for them or for the Cubs.

The next team I fell in love with was the Chicago Cubs, who I started following on WGN in the mid 80's. I fell in love with those scrappy and hardly ever good Cubs. This current season was another waste of a lot of money. Like Torre, Lou Pinella appeared to be disinterested this season. I was glad he stepped down early. The Cubs have shown that they are willing to spend the money to sign big name players, now they need to use that same money to sign high quality players.

The next team I fell in love was the Red Sox, for a long time they were perennial losers like the Cubs. Then they were bought by a real owner. He edged out the McCourts, Boston you dodged a bullet there. Boston has had a good run of late, winning the World Series in 2004 and 2007. The team theme this year has been injuries. They've lost over 800 games to player injuries. That includes such stars as Josh Beckett, Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, Josh Beckett, Jason Varitek, Mike Lowell etc. etc.

Then the last team I fell in love with is the Atlanta Braves. My brother and sister-in-law lived in Hotlanta for a few years and I was able to go visit them three times. My brother was kind enough to take me to see the Braves play all three years. (Thanks J & L, that was awesome and some good memories.) I violently hated the Braves before that, but I started following them. Now I'm a big fan of the Braves.

However the Braves have completely fallen apart over the last couple of weeks. They are now 6 games behind Philadelphia in the NL East. They only lead San Diego by a half-game in the NL Wild Card chase. At this point they'll be lucky to make the playoffs, I wish that Chipper Jones wasn't out for the season. Fortunately they are battling San Diego probably for that Wild Card spot and San Diego is choking even more than the Braves.

If the Braves make the playoffs, they are obviously the team I'll be cheering for. Although they are notoriously terrible in the playoffs. Under Bobby Cox, they've only won one World Series- that was before I was a Braves fan.

If Atlanta doesn't make the playoffs, I think I'll be cheering for the Minnesota Twins. They have a good team, great players (Joe Mauer and Jim Thome for only $1.5 million dollars) and they don't seem to have any character issues on that team. They'll also earn some good Karma as the Vikings continue to fall apart and Brett Favre needs to retire. (Right now I think that's my favorite story in the NFL: the collapse of the Vikings.)

If Minnesota doesn't win the World Series, I'll be forced to cheer for anyone but New York or Philadelphia. I'm sick of those two teams.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites