Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Daniel Davis Band, Prospect Mali

Hello,

In my 17 years working at Dicks Market in Centerville, Utah I met many people and made many friends. Many of these people still have an influence on me even though I haven't worked there in 5 years. Anyway one of these people was Josh Terry, he and I shared a love of music. However whereas I have no musical talent, he seems to have an ample amount. Last night Josh Terry played the drums for both bands. He also took lead vocals one time, more on that later. I wish Josh and his bandmates the best but I was so jealous of him being able to get his rock star on last night.

Last night my oldest son and I went to the Layton (Utah) Amphitheatre to catch the twin billing of local bands Prospect Mali and the Daniel Davis Band. I saw them last year when they were using the name Groove Theorem. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by both acts, they were better than I expected.

Prospect Mali opened up the night, they played about 7 or 8 songs. They mixed originals and covers. Two of their originals include the songs "Something Deeper" and "Your Time Is Out". Both songs are available on their 2007 debut CD, "Something Deeper".

This is "Something Deeper" live:



This is "Your Time Is Out" live:



They also did a rocking cover of this song (man is this song depressing):



Then after only a couple of minutes the Daniel Davis Band took the stage and they also played 7 or 8 songs. As far as I can tell they only played covers. They like to play classic rock and blues songs. They are a tighter band than Prospect Mali and they have two excellent guitarists.

They started off their show with a sizzling cover of ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" and effortlessly moved to The Black Crowes "Hard To Handle". Other highlights include Josh Terry coming from behind the drum kit and singing Neil Diamond's "You Got To Me". That's not the rockingest song ever, but they rocked it out.

They also sang Tonic's "She" offering a free CD to anyone who could guess the artist. However no one knew. Tonic was one of the many disposable 90's bands, their biggest hit was the annoying "If You Could Only See".

In addition the band continued to wear their blues rock influences on their sleeves with a take on the Jimi Hendrix classic "Red House". (Yes I know many other people have performed the song as well, but to me it will always be a Jimi Hendrix song.) Anyway they've evolved as musicians and they played this song so much better last night. But they don't sound terrible here:



Here's a selection of their previous live performances. The crowd egged on the Daniel Davis Band for an encore last night and they covered this blistering Eric Clapton track:



I've requested a set list from the band, I'll add details if and as they come.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites