Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why are "Don't" songs so good?

Hello,

I was researching something on my iTunes today and I noticed that many songs with the word "don't" in the title are great. That's especially true with songs that start with the word "Don't". Do you have an explanation for this, I certainly don't :) I think Billy Joel says it best "Don't Ask Me Why". Here's a selection of some great don't songs:



I didn't agree so much with Greg Kihn when this song first came out, but I agree with him today. He's so right that "They Don't Write Them Like That Anymore".



One of the most heartbreaking songs of all time is a don't song, which I guess makes sense. This is Gwen Stefani's song of heart break:



But on the opposite side is a love and sex song that Michael Jackson sings. I think I'm just going to start referring to Michael Jackson as the legend. Here's one of the legend's early songs. This is such a great song and this was before Michael Jackson hit his songwriting peek. Over 43 million plays speaks for itself. Rest in peace Michael.



This next video only has over 23,000 plays. Next let's go really old school with Blue Oyster Cult:



This song might not be up the quality of the other "don't" songs, but this is still a great song. I don't know why but I've really been into Morrissey lately as a solo artist. As for his more famous band, I'm always into them.



This might be my favorite of all the don't songs. I love the Peas, except for when they play the Super Bowl halftime:



Fergie liked the don't craze so much, she made her own don't song. Again Fergie it's time to make another amazing solo CD. She has an amazing voice.



One of my favorite R.E.M. songs:



One of the most beautiful "don't" songs from our friend Andrew Lloyd Webber:



Even fake artists jumped in on the don't craze, here's Milli Vanilli. This is early 90's so please forgive them for how corny this video is now. I think Villi Manilli's "Girl You Know It's True" is the best CD ever made by a fake artist. I love at least 7 or 8 songs on their debut CD. This is one of my favorite of their songs:



I love the above video for so many things. If this video was remade with basically the same storyline now, the girl would be longingly looking at a computer waiting for a new e-mail to pop up. Now it isn't like the old days when you actually had to call someone to ask them out!

That doesn't even capture all the great don't songs that are out there. Let's play a game, I'm going to name an artist and you name the song. If you don't know the answer, google it. Tom Petty? ELO? Muddy Waters? B.B. King? (I got to give shout outs to the Blues masters when I can.) Elvis Presley? Bobby Brown? Guns N' Roses? Crowded House? Kenny Loggins? Charley Pride? Elton John and Kiki Dee? Motley Crue? Styx? Cinderella? James Taylor? Pink and Richard Marx, both of which have great don't songs.

Two more don't songs. This may be the greatest rap song of all-time:



And a more obscure country song by Danielle Peck:



Don't (there's that word again) worry, my next blog won't be built around songs with the word badonkadonk in the title.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites