Friday, September 30, 2011

Taylor Swift SLC Concert Review Part 1

Hello,

Due to time constraints I'm not going to be able to finish this blog today, but I'm going to do as much done as I can. Although I do have today off from work I do have time constraints. I will be spending time with my kids this weekend. Also I have football games to watch this weekend! I'm sorry but my kids, BYU and Dallas do come before this blog! I'll start with the two opening acts first.

Before I get to that, let me get some whining out of the way. Concerts at the Energy Solutions Arena are never the best. The sound isn't very good. Also it seems that there's something wrong with the air conditioning. After sitting though my own personal sauna for 3 hours they should change the name of arena to Energy Savings Arena.

Also I'm for all people to get in a concert and have a fun time, but does the about 13 year old in front of me really need to screech every few seconds. I think that early teen screech is the most annoying sound in the world, especially when it's repeated several times. Also to her parental unit, did you really need to have your phone out most of the concert. Are you that important that you just can't put your phone down for a couple of hours, or maybe even leave your phone at home. Again the cell phone remains the most annoying invention ever! And it's not that the phone itself is so obnoxious, it's the obnoxious people who use the phone. Heaven forbid you miss one of your 600 Facebook friends every status update. Of course these people left before the concert even ended.

The first act that took stage almost right at 7:00 was Charlie Worsham, he was accompanied by two other musicians. They played 5 songs. Their set was highlighted by his country inflected cover of the 80's classic "I Want Candy" and Worsham's original "Mississippi in July". Worsham seems to be a cool guy, fighting against the obvious difficulty of being an opening act that most people just aren't interested in. However he was a pleasant surprise. Also I know that artists feel like they must say that they are having a great time, but it still cracks me up every time I hear it.

The next act up was needtobreathe. Now this isn't a band that's widely know, however they are a very good band. I don't know how to classify their music. About the closest I can get is a rock band with strong country influences. I'm not sure why but they were only allowed to sing 6 songs. WIth their very limited time, they kicked as much butt as they could. The highlight of their set was their second and sixth song. Their second song "Girl Named Tennessee" is my favorite of all their songs. They then closed out with a rompin' stompin' rock song. It's a song I've heard before, but I'm not sure of the title. They very good although the ESA sauna and the obnoxious people in front of me were in full obnoxious mode.

Then after about a half-hour of sauna like conditions and more waiting the lovely Taylor Swift took the stage. To be continued.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites