Friday, September 2, 2011

September Bookclub Delayed, GO BYU!

Hello,

I changed up the look of my blog a bit, making the font bigger and making it courier script. I think it looks cleaner this way. In changing over from my HP to a Mac computer the font is smaller when I'm writing my blog entry. That's what I was actually trying to make bigger, but it's still a work in progress. So if this blog looks a little funky, that is why. Anyway I think I've mostly figured it out.

Anyway just a bunch of random things today. The University of Utah started off their season as a new member to the Pac-12. I'm so sick of hearing about the Pac 12, especially with the Utes relatively weak schedule. Unless they play in the Pac 12 Championship Game they won't play either one of the big boys in the Pac 12. Those two teams of course are Stanford and Oregon. (I'll be cheering for Oregon to beat LSU.) Utah plays USC next weekend and that's when we will have a true indicator of how good Utah is. If the Utes win that game, especially on the road, I will give them a lot more respect.

I wasn't real impressed with their performance last night. They started out well, jumping out to a 17-0 lead at the end of the first quarter. But from that point on Montana State matched them point for point. Also Utah only scored 3 points after the halftime. What that tells me is at halftime Montana State went in the locker room and made some adjustments. Montana State played even with the Utes the rest of the game. I kept on expecting the bigger, stronger Utes would wear down Montana State, but that didn't happen nearly as much as I expected it. I'm guessing the USC coaches are looking at film of that game, especially the second half right now. Utah-USC will be a battle next week and it should be a very good game.

Also it's cool the Utes are in the Pac 12 and they can get one of those automatic BCS berths. But it ain't as cool as Ute supporters are making it. The conference has 2 great teams, 2 teams that could be great, a bunch of mediocre teams and Washington State. It's not like the Pac 12 is the SEC, not even close. Also I'll agree that Norm Chow is a great offensive mind. But can we please stop calling him a genius, if he's such a genius then why hasn't he ever been a head coach?

ESPN used the tag "Utah rolls" on their morning Sports Center. A 17 point victory over a Division 2 team isn't rolling. What Wisconsin did to UNLV, now that's rolling.

BYU plays Ole Miss tomorrow about 3:00 MST. Ole Miss is one of those highly lauded SEC teams, but they are near the bottom of the league. However they will still be tough and fast. BYU has a lot of talent, but so much of that talent are young players. With this being the first game of the season for both teams, this game could go so many ways. I predict that whoever wis the battle between BYU's offense and Ole Miss' defense will win this game.

TCU plays Baylor tonight, I should be able to catch some of that game. About the time the BYU game is over tomorrow, it should be time for BSU-Georgia. The game is allegedly on a neutral field, but don't kid yourself it will be a home game for Georgia. BSU announced they have 3 players who have eligibility issues that didn't even travel for this game. Since BSU isn't Miami or OSU, these aren't academic or team rule violation issues. How will that affect the Broncos? As when BSU plays any "big" team the game becomes a referendum on BCS vs. Non BCS teams. Thank goodness, after that train wreck of an offseason, that college football is back.

Other news: I've been looking for a book for September's book club selection. With football starting I wanted to have a football themed book but I couldn't find one that met my standards. I've been thinking more about what the next book should be. I always accept suggestions. Please don't hesitate if you have a great book suggestion. Perhaps we'll have Neil Stephenson's "Quicksilver" be the next musicaddict book club selection. Two problems though: it's over 900 pages and is the first book in a trilogy. So I'm not sure about that.

But a recommendation, definitely do read his "Anathem". That's a great book. I also just finished reading a book called "The Five"by Robert McCammon. I give the book a B- grade. It starts out really strongly but fades over the last couple hundred of pages. There should have been quite a few pages edited out to make the action more crisp.

I'm also almost finished with the first book in Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series. It's about a modern day wizard. I know you are thinking "lame", but this wizard isn't Harry Potter and Hogwarts is nowhere in sight. He's a wizard in the modern skeptical world. He has a lot more detractors than friends. The series first book is titleed "Storm Front", check it out. You'll like it if you like humor, action and someone with disrespect for so many of the obnoxious social norms we deal with everyday.

I also took the Season One of "Lost" back to the library today. Quite simply it was taking over my life. I was thinking about it all the time. Last night I watched 3 episodes back to back. And it was a struggle to not watch another episode. So like Charlie throwing his drugs into the fire, I took the DVD back to the library. I will check it back out again, but I just needed to take a break. I find myself going into withdrawal. I keep on looking at the clock and thinking that the library is still open and maybe I can go check it out again. Like Charlie I need to be strong! At least I don't have to wear the ugly hoodie he wore while detoxing.

Sports: Have you noticed how big of a deal the NFL Lockout was and how there was all that gnashing of teeth, outrage and concern. What would happen if the NFL season didn't start?Compare that to the NBA Lockout and how far on the back burner it is. It almost seems like a regular offseason for the NBA. Seemingly neither the owners, players or the fans have any urgency about getting the NBA back. I think a lot of that is simply because people love the NFL more. Maybe when the Super Bowl is over, perhaps there will be more urgency for everyone. As of now if the NBA doesn't play this season, I'm good with that. Although with how great of a season the NBA had last year they are just like Barney Fife and shooting themselves in the foot. Both sides need to swallow their pride, compromise and capitalize on last season. As of now they are undermining the phenomenal success of last season.

Okay here are some good songs for you to enjoy. This is a new Joss Stone song that I like:


For the people that grew up the same time as me, here's a lesser loved 80's classic:


I'm still loving the new Black Stone Cherry cd "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea". It's receiving a lot of plays as I drive around. This is just one of the amazing songs from this cd. At this point I would have to say this is the CD of the year so far. Of course with the music that's being released now, that's not saying much.


This is a song that I discovered by downloading all the free music I could to my iTunes and then listening to the songs on random. I've never heard of this band, Sick of Sarah, but this is a pretty cool song. "Autograph":


Taylor Swift getting her rock goddess on "The Story of Us":


I should probably be ashamed that I like Cobra Starship, but I'm not. They have a lot of good rock songs. This is one of them:


The highlight of one of the most overrated bands of all time. This is Nirvana at their peak, never to be reached again. Nirvana trivia, Krist Novocelic is currently going to law school.


We all know that "Mr. Brownstone" is Guns N' Roses best song. I think "Paradise City" is their second best song. Both of those songs are on one of the greatest CDs ever. I just keep on playing coulda, woulda, shoulda with the original lineup of Guns N' Roses. Imagine if they had stayed at their "Appetite" peek and released several albums at that same level. Sigh.


A song that's a bit off the beaten track, but still no less powerful for being so. Travis Tritt's "Help Me Hold On":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites