Thursday, May 5, 2016

themusicaddict's Final Review of Justin Cronin's "The Twelve" & Preview of "City of Mirrors" (Spoilers Galore!)

Hello,

There are a ton of spoilers in this review, please only proceed if you've read the first two books in "The Passage" trilogy. This is through page 501 of the the softcover edition of "The Twelve", only 63 pages to go. The title of the book refers to the people who were infected with a virus that was suppose to help create super soldiers, which it did in a way. I'm so glad I'm read this before reading "City of Mirrors". "Mirrors" the third book in this trilogy is due May 24th. I look forward to reading it.

"The Twelve" is the second book in "The Passage" trilogy. The trilogy's third book "City of Mirrors" I'll be reading "Mirrors" for NetGalley.com as well as the publisher Random House Publishing Group- Ballantine Books. I wanted to be better prepared so I'm reading "The Twelve" before tackling "City of Mirrors". I'm so glad I did, I had forgotten so much as it had been a couple of years since I read "The Passage".

The book jumps back and forth in time, starting when the plague started up to finding out what Guilder was building at The Homeland. I liked this book quite a bit, the jumping back and forth in time is a bit confusing. But eventually I figured it out. It's good to see what's going on with what feel like old friends, like Alicia, Amy, Peter Jaxon, General Greer.

Cronin's writing style is very good, making it difficult to put the book down. I'm looking forward to the hopefully thrilling conclusion. I actually liked this book more than "The Passage". "The Twelve" is solid from start to finish. Whereas "The Passage" started out strong, but the about last 20% wasn't as good. Honestly I did have problems keeping track of the continuing time jumps, but a bit of rereading helped resolve some of those issues.

I'm sorry to see Wolgast go, but Amy released him so sweetly. Now Wolgast, Lila and Eva can live happily ever after. All three deserve a happy ever after all their troubles and Lila final brave sacrifice. I know Grey had his issues, but he mostly seemed to be a good guy. I'm so glad he got his release, 100 years of captivity isn't living, it's existing. I'm glad to see Guilder, and his minions, get their just reward.

I finished reading "The Twelve" last night and I'm still on a just finished reading a great book high. I'm excited I get to start reading "City of Mirrors". Thanks again to NetGalley.com and Ballantine for giving me the opportunity to finish reading this book before it's May 24th, 2016 public release.

"City of Mirror" questions. How will Hollis, Sara and Kate get along? What kind of challenges will there be moving 70,000 people from The Homeland to Kerrville? I'm guessing there will be a final showdown, will that happen in Kerrville? Will the survivors be able to communicate with the outside world easier now? What will be Alicia and all the survivors final destiny? Who will have to die for the others to reach that destiny? Zero is calling her and she's defiantly accepting his invitation.  What will be the end result for Amy, Anthony Carter and what state is Rachel Wood in? With The Twelve dead, what will drive action forward in this book? This is going to be fun!

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites