Saturday, November 10, 2018

(Finished November 10th, 2018) Is "A Night At The Opera" A Classic CD

Hello,

I just got back from seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody" at the local theatre. And it was amazing, focusing on the 15 most crucial years of Queen's existence. From when Farrokh Bulsara was writing lyrics before going to his job at the airport to culminating in 1985's Live Aid. The movie ends with Queen's triumphant comeback performance at Live Aid. The movie does an amazing job at capturing their electric performance that day. Rami Malek is amazing as Freddy Mercury, he nails that role perfectly. I love accuracy in biographies, but the whole teeth thing was unneccesary. I never thought his teeth were that prominent. But that's my only very minor quibble with the movie. The music is great as expected.

Their Live Aid set:


While Mercury died in 1991, the other three members of the band are very much alive and well. In fact both Brian May and Roger Taylor still play with the current edition of Queen. I can't believe how much the actor playing Brian May (Gwilym Lee) actually looks like May. It was a great job done by everyone involved.

There's a pivotal scene where the band is arguing with the studio head about the "A Night At The Opera" album, specifically "Bohemian Rhapsody". The scene is made to be seen that EMI really missed out on a great album, but is "A Night At The Opera" really that great of an album? I will obviously give you "Rhapsody", that is without a doubt one of the best songs ever. Also "You're My Best Friend" is another amazing song. But I couldn't tell you a thing about any other song on that album. Well let's find out just how good of an album it is.

 I do enjoy this song. 1) "Death On Two Legs" (Dedicated to...):


This is a perfectly fine little ditty, but is it much more? 2) "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon":


The much mocked song in the "Bohemian Rhapsody" movie 3) "I'm In Love With My Car":


Definitely a great song. 4) "You're My Best Friend":


A decent song. 5) "39":


Meh. 6) "Sweet Lady":


This is a perfectly fine little ditty, but is it much more? 7) "Seaside Rendezvous":


Kind of pompous and nonsensical. 8) "The Prophet's Song":


Meh. 9) "Love of My Life":



This is a perfectly fine little ditty, but is it much more? 10) "Good Company":



11) "Bohemian Rhapsody":



12) "God Save The Queen":



So is "A Night At The Opera" a great CD? I'd have to give that question a hard no. It's a perfectly pleasant CD, with two of Queen's best songs on it, but overall it's only an okay CD. I'm thinking about my next blog to blog about my favorite Queen CD, it likely will surprise you. However it's a CD I've loved most of my life.

themusicaddict


No comments:

Favorites