Monday, January 21, 2019

(Finished April 21st, 2019) Meat Loaf's Comeback: 1993's "Bat Out of Hell: Back Into Hell"

Hello,

Upcoming: I'll be doing countdown blogs for the 106ish Greatest 80's era bands blog for Meat Loaf. I wanted to write about "Bat Out of Hell 2" as a refresher and because I love that CD.

Meat Loaf really broke onto the scene with 1977's "Bat Out of Hell". This CD has 7 songs and all of them are great. A few of these songs are classics, for instance "Bat Out Of Hell", "You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)", "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and "Paradise By The Dashboard Light":


After one of the best 70's CDs ever Meat Loaf went into a musical funk. There might have been as many amazing songs on that first CD than his next 4 CDs combined. 1981's "Dead Ringer" had his duet with Cher "Dead Ringer For Love", but not much else:



1983's "Midnight At The Lost and Found" had the title song and not much else. However "Midnight" is one of my all-time favorite Meat Loaf songs. Next up was the Greatest Hits CD "Hits Out of Hell", nearly half of which was from "Bat Out of Hell". That was followed by 1984's "Bad Attitude" which had the solid "Modern Girl" on it, but not much else. Are you noticing a trend here? Then 1986's "Blind Before I Stop" might be the nadir of this era for Meat Loaf. Next there was 1987's live CD "Live At Wembley", which still was relying on "Bat Out Of Hell". 

I enjoyed the original "Bat Out of Hell", but didn't pay a lot of attention to Meat Loaf until I heard the lead single off of "Bat Out of Hell 2". Of course that song is "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)":


I remember listening to that song in my car on my way to my girlfriend's house -the woman I would eventually marry and then divorce- and I was jamming out to that amazing song. It's a bit of a bittersweet song for me for that reason. but I still think it's an amazing song. It's one of those songs that's best played loud. 

But that's not the only great song on the CD, this CD is 75 minutes of kick ass rock and roll. Not every song is a classic, but so many of the songs are pretty great.

2) "Life Is A Lemon and I Want My Money Back":


3) "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through":



4) "It Just Won't Quit":



5) "Out of the Frying Pan (And Into The Fire)":



6) "Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are":



7) "Wasted Youth" (Monologue By Jim Steinman)":



8) "Everything Louder Than Everything Else":



9) "Good Girls Go The Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere)":



10) "Back Into Hell":



11) "Lost Boys and Golden Girls":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites