Monday, February 20, 2023

(Finished February 20th, 2023) Part 3 of The Best, Heartwarming, Happy and Absolutely Amazing Lyrics

Hello,

I started this blog almost three years ago, well today I decided to finish it. I'm taking advantage of all of my in-between job time.

Some of these lyrics wouldn't stand out on the blank page, but the lyrics take on a whole new meaning in the context of the songs. It's the lyrics, the music and the singer working all together that take a song to that next level.

This song describes my last job way too well. 34) The Police "Synchronicity 2":

Another working day has ended
Only the rush hour hell to face
Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes
Contestants in a suicidal race
Daddy grips the wheel and stares alone into the distance
He knows that something somewhere has to break
He sees the family home now looming in his headlights
The pain upstairs that makes his eyeballs ache


 35) Frank Sinatra "New York, New York":
I want to wake up in a city
That never sleeps
And find I'm king of the hill
Top of the heap
These small town blues
They are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York

Both the song and the video are incredibly sweet. I especially love the line about "seasons out of time". I don't know that I know what that means, but still think it's very beautiful. This song rips out my heart.
 36) Terry Jacks "Seasons In The Sun":

Goodbye my friend, it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky
Now that the spring is in the air
Pretty girls are everywhere
Think of me and I'll be there
We had joy, we had fun
We had seasons in the sun
But the hills that we climbed
Were just seasons out of time


37) Cat Stevens "Peace Train"
'Cause out on the edge of darkness
There rides a peace train
Oh, peace train take this country
Come take me home again


38) Cat Stevens "Morning Has Broken":

Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the world
Sweet the rains new fall, sunlit from Heaven
Like the first dewfall on the first grass
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
Sprung in completeness where His feet pass


39) U2 "With Or Without You":
See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I'll wait for you
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I'll wait without you

The lyrics quoted are not the most profound lyrics, but that's my favorite part of the song. Again a lot of a great song is how the lyrics, music and singer blend together. 
40) Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer":

I get it right, I kicked the habit (kicked the habit, kicked the habit)
Shed my skin (shed my skin)
This is the new stuff (this is the new stuff)
I go dancing in (we go dancing in)
Oh, won't you show for me? (Show for me)
I will show for you (show for you)
Please, show for me (show for me)
Huh, I will show for you
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I do mean you (show for me)


41) Bruce Springsteen "I'm On Fire":

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley
Through the middle of my soul
At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
And a freight train running through the
Middle of my head
Only you can cool my desire

42) The Rolling Stone "Gimme Shelter":

Ooh, a storm is threatening
My very life today
If I don't get some shelter
Ooh yeah I'm gonna fade away
War, children
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
War, children
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

43) Oasis "Wonderwall":

And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that
I would like to say to you, but I don't know how
Because maybe
You're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all
You're my wonderwall


44) Billy Joel "The Stranger":

Well, we all fall in love
But we disregard the danger
Though we share so many secrets
There are some we never tell
Why were you so surprised
That you never saw the stranger?
Did you ever let your lover see
The stranger in yourself?


Willie Nelson singing this song shouldn't work so well. It feels like the song and Willie were made for each other. 45) Willie Nelson "Always On My Mind":

Tell me
Tell me that your sweet love hasn't died
And give me
Give me one more chance to keep you satisfied
I'll keep you satisfied
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time


"Forgetting you, but not the time" is so poignant. Dedicated to all those that miss their exes or let "the one" get away. 46) Green Day "Whatsername":
And in the darkest night
If my memory serves me right
I'll never turn back time
Forgetting you, but not the time


47) Keith Whitley "When You Say Nothing At All":

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me
A touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
Now you say it best when you say nothing at all
All day long I can hear people talking out loud
But when you hold me near, you drown out the crowd
Old Mr. Webster could never define
What's being said between your heart and mine

48) Simon and Garfunkel "The Sound of Silence":

And in the naked light, I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence


49) Blink-182 "Adam's Song":

I never thought I'd die alone
Another six months, I'll be unknown
Give all my things to all my friends
You'll never step foot in my room again
You'll close it off, board it up
Remember the time that I spilled the cup
Of apple juice in the hall
Please tell Mom this is not her fault
"Don't put your blame on me". 


50) Rag'n'Bone Man "Human":

Maybe I'm foolish
Maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this
And see what's behind
Got no way to prove it
So maybe I'm blind
But I'm only human after all
I'm only human after all
Don't put your blame on me
Don't put your blame on me


51) The Smiths "How Soon Is Now":

When you say it's going to happen now
Well, when exactly do you mean?
See, I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone


From "Rent" soundtrack. 52) "Seasons of Love":

Five hundred twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty-five thousand moments, oh dear
Five hundred twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets
In midnights, in cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter in strife
In five hundred twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
How do you measure a year in the life?


53) Kenny Rogers "She Believes In Me:
While she lays waiting
I stumble to the kitchen for a bite
Then I see my old guitar in the night
Just waiting for me like a secret friend
And there's no end while she lays crying
I fumble with a melody or two
And I'm torn between the things that I should do
And she says to wake her up when I am through
God, her love is true


 54) Simon and Garfunkel "Scarborough Fair":

Tell her to make me a cambric shirt,
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme,
Without any seam nor needlework,
And then she'll be a true love of mine.
Tell her to wash it in yonder dry well,
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme,
Which never sprung water nor rain ever fell,
And then she'll be a true love of mine.


 Also from "Rent": 55) "La Vie Boheme":

Excuse me, did I do something wrong?
I got invited, then ignored all night long
I've been trying
I'm not lying
No one's perfect
I've got baggage
Life's too short, babe
Time is flying
I'm looking for baggage that goes with mine

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites