Tuesday, May 12, 2020

(Started May 12th, 2020) The Top 5 Songs + #100 Ranked Song Every Year I've Been Alive Part Five: 1979: The Year Disco Peaked, Part 2

Hello,

These are the Disco songs that finished on 1979's year end charts. Sometimes a band can be known for being a Disco band, but that doesn't mean every song they sing is a Disco song. The Pointer Sisters "Fire" is another case in point of this. Case in point I love EWF's "After The Love Is Gone", but in my opinion it's not a Disco song. The song was written by Bruce Springsteen for hell's sake.

In 1978 there were about 25 songs that made the year end chart I would label as Disco. In 1979 about 52 Disco songs made the Billboard Year End Top 100. 15 Disco songs made that list in 1980 and just a couple disco songs made it in 1981. When Disco died it died quickly. (I determined if a song was Disco based on a life long love of music which songs were Disco and which weren't. I realize that some songs could have been considered different genres.)

For this blog I have continued the Top 5 songs plus the #100 song, whether they're Disco or not. 1979 was a great year for music. Not only did 1979 have all those great Disco songs, there are also great Rock songs ("Double Vision" and "Dance The Night Away") and great Country songs ("She Believes In Me" and "The Devil Went Down To Georgia").

43) Bonnie Pointer "Heaven Must Have Sent You":
45) Sister Sledge "He's The Greatest Dancer":



48) The Village People "In The Navy":
51) John Stewart "Gold":
53) Sister Sledge "We Are Family":



55) Hot Chocolate "Every 1's A Winner":
56) Cher "Take Me Home":
57) Earth, Wind & Fire & The Emotions "Boogie Wonderland":
58) "(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away":
59) Bobby Caldwell "What You Won't Do For Love":
It seems the New York groove was Disco with some rock flourishes.
60) Ace Frehley "New York Groove":



62) Chic "I Want Your Love":
64) Alicia Bridges "I Love The Nightlife":



65) "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now":
69) "Got To Be Real":
70) Patrick Hernandez "Born To Be Alive":
74) Kiss "I Was Made For Lovin' You":
76) GQ "Disco Nights":
One of the best and greatest Disco songs ever. This song peaked at #8, how did it not hit #1? And it only finished at #78 for the year end chart, that's hard to believe.
78) Earth, Wind and Fire "September":



80) Herb Alpert "Rise":



90) Instant Funk "I Got My Mind Made Up (You Can Get It Girl)":



91) Michael Jackson "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough":



96) Nigel Olsson "Dancin' Shoes":



97) Diana Ross "The Boss":



There's so much I don't know about music, but I had never heard of this song before working on this blog. I was surprised the YouTube video had 33 million views. It's a cool song.
99) GQ "I Do Love You":



Obviously not a Disco song, just keeping it here as it is the #100 song.
100) Firefall "Strange Way":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites