Saturday, March 6, 2021

(Finished March 6th, 2021) Part 1 of Songs That Meant Something To Me In The 80s, Songs 1-17

Hello,

These are songs that meant something to me in the 80s and why those songs meant something. 

I remember going to this movie with this girl that I had the biggest crush on. She wore a purple dress to "Purple Rain". That relationship never worked out but then it was such a great movie. However it hasn't aged well since then. Although without a doubt this is the greatest 80s soundtrack ever. Also it seemed like this song was playing nearly every time I was driving home from Safeway, my first "real" job. Long live the amazing music of Prince Rogers Nelson. 1) Prince "When Doves Cry":

Another memorable song from "Purple Rain". 2) Prince "Take Me With U":

Yet another memorable song from the movie "Purple Rain". 3) The Time "Jungle Love":


Who didn't love Michael Jackson back in the day? 4) Michael Jackson "Billie Jean":


I was pretty much not a rap fan before "Raising Hell" came along. I'm still not a rap music fan, but the 80s contain my favorite rap music. RUN-D.M.C. (Jam Master Jay), The Beastie Boys and LL Cool J were some of the best 80s rappers.  5) RUN-D.M.C. "It's Tricky":


6) RUN-D.M.C. "You Be Illin":


This may be the greatest video ever. If not it's pretty close. It also happens to be an amazing song.
7) a-ha "Take On Me":


You knew this was going to be a classic song before Joey Tempest even sang his first note. I hadn't realized that this song began with 87 seconds of amazing music before Tempest sings. 
8) Europe "The Final Countdown":


One of the first videos that really stood out in the early days of MTV. Sad to say I didn't like this song at first. How is that even possible you ask? I do not know and The Eurythmics ended up being one of the best 80s bands. 9) The Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)":


10) Great video, great song, great memories. 'Til Tuesday "Voices Carry":


11) Nena "99 Luftballons":


The first CD I ever bought was Bon Jovi's "New Jersey". Sad to say when I saw them live they were kind of boring. 12) "Lay Your Hands On Me":


13) "I'll Be There For You":


Another great song from the self-proclaimed King Of Pop, just one of many great songs from "Thriller". It was another 80s icon, Eddie Van Halen, that nailed that guitar solo. Along with the above "Billie Jean", "Wanna Be Startin' Something", P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)", "Thriller" and "Human Nature" this was such an amazing record. A record is what we listened to music on as CDs weren't widely available when this first came out. 14) "Beat It":


Singer Bon Scott had died, what were AC/DC going to do? Would they break up, would they get a new singer, just what would they do? They got singer Brian Johnson and made the incredible CD "Back In Black". Not only were they not going away they were becoming stronger. And as it is said the rest is history. AC/DC is still recording, although there have been a few changes over the years, and "Power Up" is a strong AC/DC CD. 15) AC/DC "Back In Black":


16) Cyndi Lauper "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun":


Near the end of my LDS mission I kept on hearing about this great rock band breaking out. We didn't listen to much music on the mission so I didn't get to hear them until my mission was over. But I've got to say that Guns N' Roses lived up to the hype. And the last concert I saw before the pandemic was the mostly reunited Guns N' Roses. 17) Guns N' Roses "Paradise City":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites