Thursday, April 9, 2009

"AI" Finals Week 5, April 7th and 8th part 2

Hello,

5) Scott MacIntyre (1985)sang “The Search is Over” by Survivor. This is one of my all-time favorite songs. He played electric guitar instead of the piano. He really rocked out that song, turning it into a power ballad. I really like his version. The judges didn't really like his performance. This is another case of me disagreeing with the judges. Grade: B. Buy: Yes I will.

6)Allison Iraheta (1992) sang “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt. She is by far my favorite remaining contestant. When I got home after work Tuesday this was the only performance I watched that night. Kara was absolutely right about her singing "adult content" and made it "truly believeable". That was one of her few and accurate critiques of the season. Another sensational performance by Miss Iraheta. One can really feel the power and emotion as she's singing this song. It's tenfold when she sings "I feel the power, but you won't". How old is she again? Grade: A++. Buy? No doubt about it.

7) Matt Giraud (1985) sang “Part Time Lover” by Stevie Wonder. After that wierd little beginning I thought he was pretty good at the start of this song, but then went downhill. Overall an okay performance. Due to yet another terrible directing job the judges were running out of time. The judges had to shorten their critiques. Hey wait a minute that's not a bad idea, especially when Paula goes off on one of her nonsensical ramblings. Grade C+. Buy? No.

8) Adam Lambert sang “Mad World” by Tears for Fears (via Gary Jules). I thought Lambert's version of this song was pretty good. Simon is the only judge who spoke again due to time constraints. He then gave Adam a standing ovation. I think Adam Lambert is probably going to win this season. I don't know if he'll make a good record but he'll make an interesting record. I don't like his look or his singing style. Grade: B. Buy? No but I will buy Gary Jules version.

Concerning next week's theme this is from a Fox press release:
"Next week the Top 7 contestants take the stage Tuesday, April 14 to perform songs of the cinema under the guidance of director Quentin Tarantino in an “Idols at the Movies”-themed performance show.

Tune in the following night Wednesday, April 15 to find out if the judges use their save or if America sends another finalist home. Also, Season Three finalist Jennifer Hudson returns to the IDOL stage to perform her new single, “If This Isn’t Love,” and Miley Cyrus will sing “The Climb” from “Hannah Montana: The Movie.”

The following is from mjsbigblog:
"Quentin Tarantino was a guest judge for Season 3’s Top 8 movie theme. He’s a total American Idol geek, so this should be a lot of fun. I just got done watching American Idol Extra and Jillian Reynolds just announced that next week’s theme will be: Songs from the Movies."

Quentin Tarantino as a mentor, really? Keep Lil Rounds away from Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On". If she attempts to sing that song, she's going to sink like the Titantic. This will be another interesting week.

If this blog feels rushed, it's because it is. I have very little time today. I have to go out to Verizon Wireless this morning to fill out some paperwork. I then am working 8+ hours at my soon to be ending job.

Have a great weekend, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites