Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New Job!, First Impressions of Black Label Society

Hello,

I have good news on my job hunt. After a long, nervous weekend Verizon Wireless called and offered me a job this past Monday. I accepted eagerly as this is a much better job than the one I currently have. I'll be working in the West Valley City Call Center and my new job starts on April 21st.That's a Tuesday and I'll be in classroom training for 7 weeks. I'm pretty excited about that. In order to get the job though I've been busy. I've had to take a urine test, fax in some forms and do some things for a background investigation. Along with all the Verizon stuff I've had all my other responsibilities. I'm also still working a 40 hour job. That has left me with too little time to write a blog. However it's all worth it, I have a job with a future now. Thanks Verizon Wireless!

The last few days I have begun my education of Black Label Society. First of all I looked to see if I had any Black Label Society songs on my iTunes. I have a lot of songs and it's hard to remember exactly what I have on there. I have one Black Label Society song, it's a cover of Led Zeppelin's "In My Time Of Dying". It's from a Led Zeppelin tribute CD. Obviously that's not enough music to gain a true knowledge of their music. I used 220 of mycokerewards.com points to get a free, unlimited month membership to Rhapsody. I've been listening to all 9 Black Label Society CD's they have available on Rhapsody. (By the way Verizon Wireless has Rhapsody as it's music player on its phone. More details coming soon.)

My initial impressions of Black Label Society is that they are a pretty good band. They rock on one song and then on the next song they have a power ballad. They move back and forth between those two extremes. They also have an interesting cover of Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale". Once I get more familiar with their music I think I'll enjoy seeing them in concert very much. I have a little less than 4 weeks to familiarize myself with their music. Right now my favorite song of theirs is "Love Is Thicker Than Water".

The other two bands on the bill are Dope and Cycle of Pain. I'm not sure which one is the opening act. I couldn't find any music from Cycle of Pain on Rhapsody. I did find some music from Dope. They have 6 CD's available on Rhapsody. They like to make covers of songs. They have their own version of Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" and it's okay. I really like their version of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell". Other than those highlights they aren't the most original band ever. Also their excessive use of the the F bomb grows old quickly. I find as I get older the less I want to hear that word. It's a word I've used a few times in my life, but not a word I really want to say or hear again.

Yesterday I was only suppose to work from 4:00 to 9:00, but I had to cover for someone and stay later. By the time I got home it was too late to watch "AI" so I don't know much about last night's show. The only thing I've seen so far is Allison Iraheta's "I Can't Make You Love Me". I think she did fantastic singing that song, unfortunately that song has been extremely overplayed. Next time Allison please pick a song that's a lot less played. That being said I'm fairly certain she'll remain #1 on my weekly "AI" rankings . Although I also have read good things about the song that Adam Lambert sang. Hopefully I can watch that tomorrow and have at least a quick blog about it tomorrow also.

Other news: you can go to Green Day's official website and hear a snippet of their new song, "Know Your Enemy". Their new CD comes out on May 15th. Also Lil Wayne is the most recent Rolling Stone cover. He apparently is going to try and do rock music now. I can honestly say that excites me 0%.

Have a great day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites