Sunday, January 16, 2022

(Finished January 16th, 2022) "1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything", The Best of 1971: The Message Songs

Hello,

I have no connection to the Apple series "1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything". However I started watching the 8 episode season tonight and reliving all that history and great music. I'll use this series as an inspiration for this blog. 1971 was a weird year in many away. One of the biggest artists of that year was The Osmonds. I was only 4 that year so I didn't have an opinion, but my opinion I'm sure would not have been that high. Looking back now I'm still shocked. How did a bunch of white Utahan Mormon boys keep up with Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin

 "1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything":

The Guitar Historian's look at the best albums of 1971: 

These are the message songs of 1971.

The #1 song of 1971 according to Billboard.  1) Three Dog Night's "Joy To The World":


2) The Raiders "Indian Reservation (The Lament of the Cherokee Indian Reservation)":


3) Janis Joplin "Me and Bobby McGee":


It's been over 50 years since the release of this song. As this video shows so many things haven't changed. I'm also not sure we're going in the right direction either. 4) Marvin Gaye "What's Going On":


5) Marvin Gaye "What's Happening Brother":


6) George Harrison "My Sweet Lord":


7) Ocean "Put Your Hand In The Hand":


8) Helen Ready "I Don't Know How To Love Him":


Nitty Gritty Dirt Band featuring Jerry Jeff Walker 9) "Mr. Bojangles":


10) Simon and Garfunkel "The Bridge Over Troubled Water":


11) Marvin Gaye "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)":


12) Freda Payne "Bring The Boys Home":


13) Matthews Southern Comfort "Woodstock":


One of the most kick ass songs ever. 14) The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again":


To be half as cool as Isaac Hayes is a level I'll never reach. 15) Isaac Hayes "Theme From Shaft":


16) John and Yoko and the Plastic Ono Band + The Harlem Community Choir "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)":


17) Dolly Parton "Coat of Many Colors":


18) Five Man Electrical Jam "Signs":


19) The New Seekers "I'd Love To Teach The World To Sing":


20) Staple Singers "Respect Yourselves":


21) Cat Stevens "Peace Train":


22) Ten Years After "I'd Like To Change The World":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites