Saturday, January 15, 2011

Battle of the "Karate Kids", Men of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir


Hello,

I was able to watch the incredibly sweet new "Karate Kid" today. What a great movie! This was actually the second time I've watched it. This is one of the rare movies that I actually liked the second time more than the first time. The story is great, the action is great, the actors are great. Jackie Chan is amazing in this movie. I think Jaden Smith is a bit too cute, but overall he does a good job. I loved, loved the very chaste sort of love story. Kids that are 12 probably shouldn't be kissing. But this is Hollywood, you can only hope for so much. I enjoyed the ending as well, the tension builds up and the music swells- what a great ending!

One of my Top 50 all-time favorite movies is the original "Karate Kid" starring Ralph Macchio and Elisabeth Shue. Above is an incredibly gorgeous picture of Ms. Shue. She's one of the all-time great 80's babes. (Yes, Kelly Preston so are you.) Sorry there will be no pictures forthcoming of Ralph Macchio.

The ending is very good in the new "Karate Kid", but the ending in the first "Karate Kid" was perfect. All the motion and story pushing towards that amazing ending. Everything you would want in a movie ending. If the ending sucks, usually the movie follows suit. It's actually been enough years since I've seen this movie, that I can see it again with nearly fresh eyes.

I was at LDS Social Services to see if we can get my youngest kid the help he needs. He's having some issues after his parents were divorced. Anyone they were playing the Men of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD. I was surprised how good this is. It's very lovely choral music. I'm very Mormon and so very grateful to be a member of my church. Having said that, I never thought I would recommend a Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD. However I'm recommending this one whole heartedly. They sing some traditional Mormon songs. They also do covers of Josh Groban and Billy Joel. Yes, that Billy Joel. My favorite song on the CD (so far) is "Fight The Good Fight With All Thy Might". Another highlight is "The Morning Trumpet".

I promise you this isn't proselytizing, this is me doing what I love to do, recommending good music. The only bad thing about this CD is that if you want to listen to it, you have to buy it. It's not on napster.com and at this point you can't even listen to 30 second samples at amazon.com. Although amazon.com does have it for sale. If you like choral music, men's voices, relaxing music this is a CD you must check out!

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites