Thursday, January 27, 2011

BYU-SDSU, Alicia Keys, Time for a change for the Jazz

Hello,

As I heard someone say about last night's BYU-SDSU game, it's a great day to be a BYU fan. Yes it was and I was pleased to hear that BYU is #1 in the RPI. That stat essentially is a strength of schedule stat. Seriously though, I've watched Jimmer Fredette play in quite a few games now and he still surprises me with some of the shots he makes. Although if you are going to try and stop him, I think SDSU has the right idea. Throw a box in one on him and make everybody else beat you. That strategy worked relatively well and Fredette still scored 43 points!

Am I going to start saying BYU is the #1 team in the nation or am I going to start saying they deserve a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament? Quite simply, no and no. In fact, I don't want BYU to have a #1 seed, I don't want that big of a target on their back. If they continue to play this way, I'd like to see them get a #2 or #3 seed. BYU doesn't have a great history in the NCAA Tournament. What my fear is that they make it in as a #2 or #3 seed and then lose their first or second round game. I would love to see them make the Sweet Sixteen, anything beyond that is gravy. I'm not even going to consider BYU winning the National Championship, that's too far out of the realm of probability.

I don't think SDSU is over rated at all, they have a great team and a great coach. Their swarming defense is going to give a lot of teams fits for the rest of the season. I was very impressed by Kawhi Leonard. He scored 22 points and grabbed 15 rebounds. That includes grabbing 9 rebounds on the offensive end, he just wouldn't be denied. SDSU has never won a game in the NCAA Tournament. Think about that for a minute. I'm sure SDSU is going to win at least their first 2 or 3 NCAA games this season. They have a coach that has one national championship already, Fisher coached at Michigan when they won the national championship.

I also loved Steve Fisher's decision to pull Brian Carlwell. He was just not playing good enough defense. Fisher pulled him out and Carlwell sat out the rest of the game. I love old school coaches.

One old school coach that might be too old school is Jerry Sloan. The Jazz lost their 6th straight game last night and looked terrible. I never had the sense that they could actually win that game. Yes, they still have a half decent record. I don't know enough about basketball to know if Jerry Sloan is the problem. However I do know when a change has to be made. Now is that time, especially since the trading deadline is only 3 weeks away. We'll see a gut check on Friday when they welcome Minnesota. That will be a good barometer where they are at at this point in the season.

For about the last 20 years the Jazz have been more good than bad, but that's where they stay. Other than the two years they went to the NBA Finals, they've been stuck in mediocrity. The Jazz made some good changes in the off season, letting Boozer go was a great decision. Yes, I know he's having a great season in Chicago. However letting him go was still the best decision for the Jazz. Cutting out a cancer is never bad. He's about due to miss some more significant time due to injury. The Jazz need to realize that the same ol', same ol' is only going to end up with the same ol'. The current Jazz remind me of Albert Einstein's saying. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". The Jazz have been stuck in the insanity zone for too many years.

Today's under appreciated songs of the day are by Alicia Keys. I don't want my blog to get stuck in too many 80's songs or songs by only one color of artist. I also absolutely love Alicia Keys, she's an amazing musician. There are so many songs to choose of hers. My favorite song of hers is probably "Samsonite Man". The following may not be my favorite song of hers, but it's one of her many great songs.

This is the gorgeous Alicia Keys "Girlfriend". Listen to how amazing her voice is.



This is Alicia Keys "No One":



"Fallin":



"Karma":



Last and least, "American Idol" has shown it's first three episodes so far. I still have not watched a minute of it yet. I thought I might be watching it, but I may not watch any of it.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites