Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Review of Dennis Lehane's "A Drink Before The War"

Hello,

I started reading this book on January 5th, 2011. It's the first of Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro novels.

I'm a big, big fan of Dennis Lehane's novels. Since this is one of his Kenzie/Gennaro novels I was expecting a bit more. The main story was almost beside the point and frankly sort of boring. I had to read the first book of the series though to try and better understand Kenzie/ Gennaro better. It's why origin stories are always so popular. Kenzie and Gennaro kill a gang leader without needing to and I didn't care. It was that sort of book.

The central mystery to me was why did Angie Gennaro, put up with her wife beater of a husband. Finally near the end of the book she no longer does. She tased him twice and then beat the crap out of him, that was her way of telling him she wanted a divorce.

A pretty unremarkable story overall. Thankfully Lehane became a much better author after this book. Not only are the Gennaro/Kenzie novels pretty good, he also wrote "Mystic River". That was one of the best books I've read. "Shutter Island" is also very good.

I read K/G #5 first, "Gone Baby Gone" and then I read K/G #6 "Moonlight Mile" and then read "A Drink Before The War". I'm going to read books #2-#4 in order.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites