Friday, March 11, 2011

2011 "American Idol" Top 13, part 2.

Hello,

Now for the Top 5 of my Top 13 of "American Idol" season 10.

5) James Durbin (ew.com's # 9) sang Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed". I could imagine Paul writing this song for his beloved Linda. I'd never realized how amazingly of a sweet love song this is. Durbin has a nice voice and props for singing Judas Priest the week before. Now on to the bad things. He's got to get rid of that ugly haircut, it's nasty. Also needing to go is the one cross shaped ear ring. Is he trying to be this season's Adam Lambert? If he is I urge him to knock it off, even Adam Lambert couldn't pull that off. Durbin is also very cheesy and I disliked how he ended the song. I'll tire of him quickly and I hope for his quick dismissal. I liked him a lot more until he started talking. Grade: C

4) Ashton Jones (ew.com's #12) sang Diana Ross's "When You Tell Me You Love Me". Yes I do realize she was the first person eliminated from the finals. Who can predict how the American public is going to vote? Look how far the lame Danny Gokey and David Archuleta advanced. After my Top 3, all the other candidates were mostly terrible. Diana Ross sang many great songs, but I'd never heard of this song. Why didn't Ashton sing "Love Child"? I know that's probably not the image "AI" or Ashton is going for, but it's a great and powerful song.



I just realized the first two words sung in this song are "Tenement slums". This is such a great song.

How believable is that the 25 year old Jones musical idol was Diana Ross, whose last big hit was 1980's "Upside Down"? It's a song released 5 years before Jones was born. Jones has a nice voice, but this song is a bit lame. She also could have sang the song with a bit more feeling. Grade: B-

Now starting with the three most amazing performances of the night.

3) Casey Abrams (ew.com's # 1) sang Joe Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends". I really like his voice and he sang this song with emotion. It also helped that he followed Lauren Alaina's lukewarm performance of "Any Man Of Mine". He seems like a future star. I only have two minor complaints, hasn't this song been overdone is the first. My second complaint is there was way too much emphasis on the chorus of this song. This isn't Abrams fault, this is "AI's" fault for only letting the contestants sing each song for 100 seconds. If the contestants could sing longer than 100 seconds, they could fall back more on the traditional verse, chorus, verse. Abrams grade: Bt, "American Idol's" grade for not letting contestants sing a longer version of their song, Grade: F.

2) Haley Reinhart (ew.com's #13) sang LeAnn Rimes "Blue", with a tip of the hat to the amazing Patsy Cline. Cline is the queen of a heartbreak, and this is one of my favorite of her heartbreaking songs:



Anyway back to Reinhart, I thought she sang this song very well. This isn't an easy song to sing. I didn't like that she wore the cleavage baring outfit. I always think that's kind of tacky, at 20 Reinhart is probably to young to understand the consequences. (I don't mean consequences, but I can't think of the word I want.) She has a large mouth, which is what it is. Reinhart sounds good and has a nice texture to her voice. She also was helped by following the idiotic James Durbin. She seems very likable, which goes a long way in this competition. Grade: B

1) Pia Toscano sang Celine Dion's "All By Myself", with a tip of the hat to Eric Carmen. Let's start off with the most obvious thing, Toscano is absolutely gorgeous. That also goes a long way in this competition. She's definitely the babe of this season, other than Reinhart, she has no serious competition in that regard. I loved her performance from the previous week of the Pretenders "I'll Stand By You". In addition Pia sounded great, especially in the chorus. Is she a contender? She reminds me of Lea Michele in how their physical appearance. Michele has the better voice though. Steve Tyler gave her one of his creepier reviews where he urged her to "polish that apple". Why are they letting a skeevy old man near such hot, beautiful woman? Steven Tyler's hormones: F Pia Toscano: B If I realized how poor many of the other performers were going to be, I probably would have given her a higher grade. I was protecting from grade inflation.

Someone sang this song on the 12 female finalists episode of "AI". I can't remember who and I'm too lazy to look it up. I think I'm going to check out some of Fiona Apple's other music. I wasn't much impressed with her the first go around, but I also don't remember this song. Maybe I missed something. This is today's under appreciated song of the day:



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites