Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Why I love shuffle on iTunes, Rihanna on Rolling Stone

Hello,

I love the ease of listening to music now days. Do you remember the bad old days of records? (Sorry I'm not going back as far as 8 Track tapes- perhaps the lamest music storage method ever.) Anyway when listening to a record, you would put it on the record player. It would play 5 or 6 songs and then one would have to get up and change it to the other side. That or you would have to get a second record and start over. Don't even think about listening to that record in your car. For music while driving you would have to listen to another outmoded form of entertainment, called radio. Back in the day radio was relevant, believe it or not.

Then came cassette tapes, again only 5 songs per side. But you could listen to these while driving. The sound on tapes wasn't very good, they weren't very durable and so many other things could go wrong with them. I'm glad cassette tapes came and went pretty quickly. Next in the early to mid 80's came CD's. These were a big step up from records and tapes. You could listen to all the songs on a CD and not need to do anything with the CD. Plus the sound was better than both tapes and records. (I know some people would argue records have a better sound, but I just don't hear it.) It took awhile for the car industry to adapt to having CD players in cars.

Then in 2001 iTunes came out. You could put as many songs on your computer as your computer will hold. One can push play and could literally listen to music for days without doing anything else. Of the songs you have on your hard drive, you could then listen to music by artist, album, genre etc. Then these songs could be put on an iPod and take your music wherever you went. My favorite feature of iTunes is the shuffle. Almost always I listen to both iTunes and my iPod on shuffle. I love listening to music like that. I can go from the sweetest softest song to a very hard rocking song. For example, I can go from Bette Midler's "The Rose" to Metallica's "Harvester of Sorrow". You can also set up playlists so that you wouldn't have such a jarring change.

One bad thing about digital music is it can be easily lost if you need to switch from hard drive to hard drive or computer to computer. That's why I only add free digital music, or digital music that's a great deal.

Why I wrote about this subject today is because of 3 songs iTunes played for me on shuffle. One song I'm familiar with but the other two songs I didn't know about. That's because until I ran out of room on my hard drive I would add any song I possibly could. Sure I got a lot of crap on my hard drive, but I also found some gems that way. It's very easy to delete the crap too.

This is a gem I found and iTunes shuffle reintroduced to me this morning:



Next song, yes this song is really by Poison. I know you are wondering, then why haven't I heard it. Well unless you are a big Poison fan, you probably didn't know they made a covers album. It's called "Poison'd!" and this is one of the songs from that CD. This is titled "I Never Cry":



Lastly but not least for today is this Counting Crows song:



Then shuffle reminded me of a couple of cool songs yesterday, one is this Colbie Caillat song, "Magic":



I won't point out that Colbie Caillat tried out for "American Idol", but didn't make it. They were probably too busy putting some of that much lesser talent through. Also I can't remember who, but one of the singers from "Glee" also tried out for the show. Let's hope that the "X Factor" is the final nail in the coffin for "Idol". Then unless "The X Factor" is considerably better, let's hope it goes away quickly too.

Which makes me think of this amazing Sara Bareilles song "Love Song".



I love Tift Merrit. This is her cover of a John Denver song and it gives me goosebumps:



Thank you Rolling Stone for finally putting a relevant musician on your cover. The gorgeous and the amazing Rihanna is on the newest cover. Let's keep it going Rolling Stone. Please no more Howard Stern, Eminem or Lil Wayne. Lady Gaga would be good.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites