Sunday, March 13, 2011

I Hate Coldplay and Chris Martin, but..., NCAA # 1 Seed predictions

Hello,

I hate the band Coldplay. Their songs sound a lot alike and they have a lot of wussy songs. Listening to their music too much will drain a man of testosterone. Their only song I like is "Yellow". I've heard a lot of their other songs and I couldn't tell you any titles. Other than Gwyneth Paltow, there's nothing interesting about that band. I have no idea how they became so popular. So no one was more surprised than me when I opened up the December 9th, 2010 Rolling Stone and noticed Chris Martin's excellent selection for 80's pop. That was the Playlist Issue. Coldplay's lead singer, Chris Martin, came up with that playlist. Since their music is so bad and wussy I was surprised he came up with such a good and varied list.

In reverse order I'm counting them down with a youtube.com video for each song.

10) "Brilliant Disguise"- Bruce Springsteen This is a scathing love song if there were ever one.



9) "Orange Crush"- R.E.M. I love how this song starts out, the thundering beginning.



8) "Back To Life (However Do You Want Me To Be)"- Soul 11 Soul This is why the 80's was so great. It didn't matter the genre as each genre produced several excellent songs. Modern rap is some of the most terrible music now. But as bad as most rap is, even rap was good in the 80's. Run-D.M.C. came out the the greatest rap CD ever, "Raising Hell", in that decade. Also the Beastie Boys were great, still are, and Public Enemy had some cool songs. On this list of 80's pop Look what we have so far: a rock song, an alternative song and then a hip-hop/ soul song. And all are great songs.



7) "Mr. Brownstone"- Guns n' Roses I see what Chris Martin is doing. He's picking some of the greatest 80's bands, but not picking their most obvious songs. However although this song wasn't a "hit", it was definitely the best song on "Appetite For Destruction". This song absolutely, without a doubt kicks ass.



6) "Bad"- Michael Jackson Just one of the many, many amazing songs from Mr. Jackson. Yes that's Wesley Snipe as an alleged gang leader. I'm afraid he wasn't tough enough to pull it off convincingly. For that matter, either could Michael Jackson. "Dirty Diana", "Smooth Criminal" or "Billie Jean" all would have been good choices as well.



5) "Sally Cinnamon"- The Stone Roses Okay this is a song I've never heard, I think this is a pick that Martin is trying to show how cool and in tune he is. (How about Paul Hardcastle's "19" here?)



4) "Buffalo Stance"- Neneh Cherry. I love, love this song. Also the CD this song is from is amazing. It definitely needs to be in your collection, it's titled "Raw Like Sushi". Whatever happened to Neneh, she made this CD and virtually disappeared. It's almost like she has entered the witness protection program. Come back Neneh.



3) "A Sort Of Homecoming"- U2 This is sort of a stretch Chris. I would suggest "With or Without You", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or if you wanted to be less obvious "Red Hill Mining Town".



2) "Running Up That Hill"- Kate Bush



1) "Hunting High and Low"- A-ha No offense but this song isn't better than "Take on Me", "The Living Daylights" or "The Sun Always Shines on T.V.".



That's a pretty good selection Chris, now I wish your music would be equally amazing.

Now here's my prediction on #1 NCAA seeds. The only true #1 seed this season is Ohio St., they have been consistently amazing all season. Even if they had lost today to Penn State, I still would have said they are deserving of a #1 seed. I predict the other #1 seeds will be Duke (yuck!), Kansas and either Pittsburgh or Notre Dame. Duke, Kansas and Pittsburgh all have a history of flaming out early in the NCAA Tournament. I'm looking forward to more of the same this season. I predict at least 1 of those 3 teams won't make the Sweet 16. I'm glad Kansas beat Texas, as people were saying that Texas might be worthy of a #1 seed before. I don't know how the #10 team in the nation would be worthy of a #1 seed. Then Pittsburgh or Notre Dame, how do you determine which one of those teams is better?

Then if the NCAA committee is honestly looking at SDSU's full resume, they definitely deserve a #2 seed. They are 31-2 and as of yesterday had the #3 RPI in the nation. The only team they lost to was BYU, who they beat last night. (I did get sick of SDSU wolfing so much. With Brandon Davies, BYU clearly is the superior team.) Their strength is tough defense leading to easy baskets. Nobody can completely shut down Jimmer Fredette, but they were able to hold him to 30 points last night. America, when SDSU is on your TV, watch them. They have 4 seniors that play significant minutes but their best player is super soph Kawhi Leonard. SDSU, who has never won a NCAA Tournament game, will be opening a lot of eyes over the next couple of weeks. I would even suggest they would have a shot at the national title if it wasn't for two glaring weaknesses. They are terrible at outside shooting, other than James Rahon, and free throws. They grab a lot of offensive rebounds, but can have a problem finishing around the basket. If they can improve on those things, they'll have a nice long run in the NCAAs.

Another team that I think deserves a #2 seed is North Carolina. I love watching that team play with all their spectacular freshmen. I expect BYU will get a #3 or #4 seed and I hope they make the Sweet 16. I also anticipate Utah State will get a crappy seed. They should get a 6 to 8 seed, but with the East coast bias (some would say stupidity), they'll probably get a 9 through 11 seeding.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites