Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"AI" Top 11 Preview, Part 2, "The Conspirator", The BCS strikes again

Hello,

With the "American Idol" judges saving Casey Abrams last week, it will be the Top 11 all over again. I'm thankful that two of these dreadful contestants will be going home tomorrow, although I would love to see at least 4 or 5 go home. Tonight's theme is Elton John songs. I love Elton John, but this is another theme that is to old for these contestants. Many of John's songs are older than the contestants themselves. Due to their unfamiliarity with the songs and their lack of talent I'm expecting at least 7 or 8 terrible performances. Again thank goodness for being able to watch this show on DVR. For the second week in a row I expect a dreary, horrible performance by Scotty McCreery. I think he's good for singing country music but for not much else. I'm still overwhelmed by how bad his "For Once In My Life" was last week. Hopefully Stevie Wonder and Motown have recovered from his dreadful version.

For comparison and contrast, I will contrast my Top 11 vs. Annie Barret's Top 11. First I'll have my Top 11 following Motown week and then in the parenthesis I will have ew.com's Annie Barret's ranking for that same artist. Overall we mostly sort of agree but there are a couple of major disagreements. I will then write comments, if I have any.

11) Scotty McCreery (Barrett: #1) Obviously this is just my opinion and I don't claim to be a music expert. But how can two people watch the exact same performance and have such wildly different viewpoints? I just thought his performance was absolutely dreadful. His brutal version of that song could not get over soon enough for me. Also Scotty button up you shirt, you look like a poor man's James Durbin.

10) Naima Adedapo (Barrett: #9) We pretty much agree on this lame contestant, it's definitely time for her to go. I'm glad I won't be one of those suckers paying my hard earned money to go see the "AI" tour. I do have a good tour name though: "Jumping The Shark...Again".

9) Stefano Langone (Barrett: #10) Again Barrett and I mostly agree on him. Two weeks ago his performance of "If You Don't Know My By Now" was very good. But last weeks cover of "Hello" made me want to say goodbye to him. However I hope he survives at least one more week.

8) Paul McDonald (Barrett: 4) I just don't understand the appeal of McDonald. Is it his bad dancing? Is it his weak singing voice? I just don't like anything about him and I hope he goes home this week. I don't think be sent home yet though. Again I think that speaks to the weakness of this season's "talent".

7) Jacob Lusk (Barrett: #7) We agree exactly on his ranking. Lusk is a boring, overpraised, wimpy contestant. I just don't get his appeal or why the judges love him so much. He can be horrible and the judges still praise him. Is this the contestant TPTB want to win. If so, why? I'd love to see him get eliminated this week.

6) Haley Reinhart (Barrett: #8) I like her sort of, I still think she has some growing up to do. It would not shock me if she gets sent home this week.

5) Thia Megia (Barrett: #11) Again she's so high on my list not because of how good she is, but because how terrible the contestants this season are. I see her singing something from "The Lion King".

4) James Durbin (Barrett: #3). See above. This is one contestant that I'm never going to like. He's a goofy freak that reminds me way too much of Adam Lambert. Lambert was one of my all-time least favorite contestants. I'm frightened that Durbin might win this season. Lee DeWyze and him winning back to back years. If that doesn't kill this show, nothing will.

3) Casey Abrams (Barrett: #6) Although he probably is my second favorite contestant right now, I don't know how long he'll be around. I'm afraid about how his near nervous breakdown last week will affect him in the voter's eyes. I think he's going to be voted off soon, which then would clear the path for Pia Toscano.

Why couldn't have Alexis Grace been on this season? Is it too late to give her a wild card and install some charisma in this season.



2) Pia Toscano (Barrett: #2) By far the best singer and the most attractive person this season, how can she not win. I agree with Randy, she needs to sing something else besides a ballad though. I know they've already picked their songs, but I think "Island Girl" would be good for her.I'm wondering if she can only sing ballads, let's hope not.

1) Lauren Alaina (Barrett #5) She soared last week, but I still think she has a lot of growing to do. I could see her going home this week but also winning. This season's title is wide open for anyone.

I'm still hoping for an All-Star "Idol", most of the other reality shows have done this. I know that the Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry wouldn't participate. But I'd love to see Alexis Grace and Alex Lambert given another chance. Also it would "AI" another chance to pimp these contestants. Maybe with these singers having a second chance and a better idea what they are getting into maybe they could truly reach their potential.

Have you seen the trailer for this very cool looking movie about the Lincoln assassination?



Robin Wright Penn looks like she did an amazing job in this movie.

Sport's Update: I have a question, why does CBS treat the Masters with so much reverence? First of all, it's golf. Second of all the drama is all manipulated and who cares anyway? The even takes place in... I tried to do some research on this but then I realized I just don't care enough. Yawn!

On day 19 of the NFL Greedout what is going on? We continue to find out how much of an idiot Dez Bryant is. He has had not one, but two, lawsuits filed against him trying to recover money that was lent to him. Allegedly he has an advisor, Dez I think it's time for you to get a new advisor. I also suggest setting up a budget would be good for you as well. I worry about what many of these spoiled, entitled NFL players are going to do with all their free time. It's easiest to get in trouble when one is bored. It would be good for you guys to find a couple of inexpensive habits. Reading is always good and libraries are free.

The NFLPA is going to start making payments to some of their players starting April 15th. If you been in the league and on your teams roster for a couple of years you can get up to $59,000. Now I know this sounds like a lot of money to average joes, but to these entitled athletes I bet they go through that pretty fast.

It cracks me up that NFL players now have to worry about paying for their own health insurance out of pocket. It's probably the first time many of them realize that COBRA isn't just a snake. Now NFL players I don't want to hear you grumbling about COBRA. Ever since I stopped working for Verizon Wireless, I've taken full advantage of COBRA. It truly has been a blessing in the life of my kids and myself. Where I currently work now, insurance is almost prohibitively expensive. I'm very glad for my kids and I we have COBRA to fall back on.

Now on to Major League Baseball, tomorrow is opening day. I'm very excited for this season. First of all I think Boston should have an amazing season. After picking up Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez in the off season. As long as they can avoid last season's injury bug, I'm expecting big things from them. I think it would be a good season for them to earn their third World Series title in the last several years.

I expect the Braves to build on their last season's success. I'm hoping Chipper Jones can go into retirement having a mostly healthy season. I expect that Atlanta should have a pretty good season.

Those are my two teams that I have high hopes for, now for the three teams I'm worried about. My favorite baseball team without a doubt has been the Dodgers, I've lived and died with them for over 30 years. (Man I'm old.) I've mostly died with the Dodgers, as in that time they've had more terrible seasons than good. Plus they were the league's laughingstock last season with the debacle of the McCourt divorce. In the off season, they didn't make a truly significant signing. That's very scary for a team that needed a lot more punch in their lineup. Unless they add that punch to their lineup I expect another mediocre season from the Dodgers. I'm also worried about how much the McCourt divorce is affecting their finances.

I've been following the Cubs since the mid-80's when I could catch their games on cable from WGN. To be a fan of the Cubs is to know the true definition of fan. The Cubs will have their highlights, but their are many more low lights. It's not like the Cubs haven't spent a lot of money on upgrading their team either. I think their main problem has been team chemistry, it seems they have too many head cases. With interim manager Mike Quade, the Cubs ended last season with a 24-13 record. That leads me to have some cautious optimism for this season. That being said, they are still the Cubs.

Last and probably least I've decided to start cheering for the Pittsburgh Pirates. No one can accuse me of being a bandwagon jumper. This team has even had more low lights than the Cubs. They haven't had a winning season in 17 years. 17 years!! Other than incompetence and greed, how is that possible? Obviously those two reasons are why the Pirates have been so bad. Over the last couple of decades I suggest the team has been known most for the greed and incompetence of their decision makers.

I look forward to another exciting baseball season. If the NFL's Greedout wipes out this season then so be it. The Cowboys weren't going to win the Super Bowl anyway. Then the NBA will probably be having their own lockout once this season is done. I'd be good if the idiots of the NBA have a couple of years of lockout.

The more we find out about the BCS and the corruption it brings to college football, the less I'm surprised. I just want to say all about the scandal going on at Ohio State and Auburn. Is it just my imagination or our those two teams full of the greedy. How many incidents have gone on for those schools in the last few months? Do I even need to bring up the Fiesta Bowl and John Junker. If his name didn't tell you what kind of human he it, nothing would.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites