Friday, August 5, 2011

"Battlestar Galactica": The Greatness of It

Hello,

For some reason when "Battlestar Galactica" originally was on I was not interested in watching it. I'm not sure why, as any other true nerd I absolutely love and enjoy sci-fi. For instance, I still say "Star Wars" is the greatest movie ever made. Looking back now it seems that "Battlestar Galactica" was right up my alley. All that being said I never got in to it when it was originally shown. It was only a couple of years ago that I started getting into it and realized how much I had missed.

I went back and read the blogs I wrote about "BSG" and realized that was almost exactly two years ago. I thought that was strange. I'm still not a great writer, but I'm much better than I was two years ago. Thanks to all of those who read my really rough blogs from when I started. Hopefully in two years from now, I'll have improved that same amount again. Unfortunately I just don't have that writing gene like my ex-wife does.

Anyway thanks to my friends at Blockbuster I'm very slowly watching the whole series of "Battlestar Galactica". Over the past couple of days I've watched four episodes of Season 2. I've seen Season 2, episodes 5-8. The episodes are titled "The Farm", "Home (Part 1), "Home (Part 2), and "Final Cut".

While this show does have some slow spots and the filming of the fight scenes are a bit chintzy, for the most part this is great fiction. The action compliments the story not the other way around. I love in the "The Farm" episode how the cylons were trying to impregnate Starbuck. Obviously she wasn't having any of that. This is right in line with Starbuck's character. She definitely would rather kick the cylons ass rather than have their babies. Katee Sackhoff plays Starbuck as a very tough, yet tantalizing sexy, human. She's very much a human and brings a great deal of humanity to "BSG". Starbuck also adds much needed humor to this show. I loved how she teased Lee Adama for saying that he loved her. Making Starbuck a female was a genius decision, it opens that character up to so many more storytelling possibilities.

Also in "The Farm" I realized how much in debt "Falling Skies" is in to "BSG". Especially with the scenes of the resistance. One example is the constant guard of the resistance by armed men standing on buildings. I thought I was watching "Falling Skies" for a minute when I first saw that.

Of the four episodes I especially liked the episode titled "Final Cut". Lucy Lawless played D'Anna Biers, who is a fleet reporter. Who the hell knew that Lucy Lawless could be so sexy? The episode is about Biers being given full reign of the Galactica to show the actual lives of it's crew members. It's a ploy by President Rosling to do damage control after four civilians were killed by marines aboard Gideon.

Biers is allowed to film literally all of the crew of Galactica. As Commander Adama notes she captured "warts" and all. Of course, she would discover things that embarass the proud Adama. She sets up Colonel Tigh in an ambush interview which clearly is suppose to show his lack of leadership skills. Tigh is on my Top Three of "BSG" characters I hate the most. The others are the vain, easily led Gaius and Tigh's manipulative wife. I even like the cylons more than those three human characters, especially cylon #6. Of course that's the incredibly sexy Tricia Helfer. If Gaius doesn't end up being a cylon, I would be very surprised.

In the last scene in "Final Cut", we see the cylon copies Sharon (by my count this would be the third copy of the 8th cylon), Number 6 and a male cylon. (I want to say any show that has as many copies of Grace Park or Tricia Helfer is okay with me. Maybe "Hawaii Five-O" can find a way to incorporate that into their Season Two.) These cylons are watching the deleted scene from Biers report. That scene being the second copy of Sharon on a hospital table with Dr. Cottle trying to save her baby.

Sharon copy #3 is excited by this development. At first I wondered why would she care? Then I realized if they could swap a loyal to the cylons Sharon copy, then they would have a spy in the very vulnerable heart of Galactica. As these three discuss this, the camera pulls back and we can see that there's a fourth person in the room. I'm getting a sinking feeling that it's Biers and sure enough it is. Biers is the fourth of the eight cylons that we know of. Although it wouldn't be completely against the realm of possibility that the creators of "BSG" are trying to lead us astray.

This isn't storytelling from the crap movies of 2011. You can't predict what's going to happen or know the ending a few minutes into the story. I had no inkling that Biers was either a cylon or possibly sympathetic to the cylons.

Whatever happened to Gaius' test to be able to determine if someone was a cylon or not? I hope his lame character is assassinated soon.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites