Monday, August 1, 2011

themusicaddict's August bookclub, Happy Birthday MTV

Hello,

With today being the first of the month, it's time to make the announcement of the next musicaddict book club selection. It's going to be Colin Harrison's "The Havana Room". I've read the first 84 pages so far. It seems like it will be a great book. I love how Bill Wyeth, the main character, back story is quickly told. Once we know about him, the rest of the story is able to move forward.

I know that nearly every other entertainment website and music blogger is writing about MTV's 30th anniversary. However I wanted to add my two cents worth as well. I don't think I've watched MTV regularly for 15-20 years. But back in the 80's I remember spending many afternoons watching MTV. Of course there were all the usual videos. Then there were also the videos that had scenes from upcoming movies in them. Also do you remember the World Premiere videos?

Some of my favorite things about MTV:

I loved one of their first non music video shows, the game show "Remote Control". It starred the hilarious Colin Quinn, host Ken Ober and only for eye candy purposes Kari Wuhrer. The set was supposedly set in Ken Ober's Mom's basement. My favorite part of the show was Colin Quinn's singing songs. When he was done singing, the contestant would sing the next line. Quinn was completely aware of his bad singing, he was doing it for the comedy. It's also the show that gave Adam Sandler his big break, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It actually makes me feel a little nostalgic for MTV back in the day. Unfortunately that's gone and probably won't ever come back. Of course I wouldn't want to watch a bunch of lame rappers and Britney Spears videos.

Then also I loved some of their many amazing videos. Although I can't remember the last CD I bought because something I saw or heard on MTV. Artists whose videos had the most impact on me are from artists such as Madonna, Michael Jackson, ZZ Top, Duran Duran, Guns N' Roses and Debbie Gibson.

Some of my least favorite things about MTV include "Beavis and Butthead" and many of their other cartoon shows. Other than flipping through I've never watched more than 30 seconds of "Jersey Shore". I'm embarrassed that I know what GTL means. Since I wasn't 11 when it was on I was never a big TRL fan.

Here are a few of my favorite videos from when MTV was relevant. Not only are the following videos great but the songs also kick butt.

Of course the first video ever shown on MTV, the Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star":



Madonna's "Like A Prayer":



ZZ Top's "Legs":



Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer":



A-ha's "Take On Me":



Guns N' Roses "Welcome To The Jungle":



Debbie Gibson's "Lost In Your Eyes":



Duran, Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf":



Talking Heads "Burning Down The House":



Another by the Talking Heads, "Once In A Lifetime":



One of the more bizarre early MTV videos is Devo's "Whip It". Unfortunately being able to embed it on my blog is disabled by request. But here's the link at youtube.com so you can experience this surreal video.

"Falling Skies" is setting up for next week's two part season finale and I'm expecting big things. There's no way it can be as atrocious as the finale to "The Killing". I love some of the plot points from last night's episode. I loved the new aliens we saw last night. The extremely tall and skinny aliens are quite a contrast to the lower to the ground mechs and skitters. My guess they are the ones really in charge. My favorite scene with the new alien species is where one of them accompanied Karen to the door of the crazy, traitorous tea lady. We see the strange new alien bending over to look through the eye hole. That was cool and extremely freaky. The new alien species are probably the ones that designed the mechs.

The new aliens, who haven't received a nickname yet, probably only put up with the skitters to do most of their dirty work. I'm guessing the skitters are the ones that built the mechs. One of last night's reveals was it was confirmed that the skitters were probably previously another creature, perhaps human? I noted this on my blog back in the early part of this show. I'd like to say that's because I'm a genius. No, it's because "Falling Skies" gave it away in their previews.

Is there anyway the humans can turn the skitters against the other alien species? Then the humans and skitters maybe can become allies? Also if the skitters were once humans, can they return to being human? I doubt that, but is there a happy medium? One human, although I'd argue that he's only half human, is Rick. He already is an ally to the skitters. Why has no one realized that he's essentially a skitter spy? The camera showed him looking with concern with the new mech bullets destroying things much easier than human bullets. Next we see him scurry off, presumably to tell the skitters. He seems to consider himself a skitter, just still in human form.

Is the actor playing Rick suppose to be so creepy? He has that dead look and plays that character with no affect. He acts like he is being held against his will. Although he has had chances to escape. What exactly is going on with Rick and will we find out next week? Why does he seem to take differently to his harness, even though it has been removed, than Ben?

I love the plot line about how scouts are saying the skitters are pulling back. The humans have decided to go after the alien base stations. At first I wondered why would they do that? Then I realized they can maximize the damage if all the alien species are in one place. But we've already come across a few humans that are allies to the aliens. So are the aliens setting up a trap?

Although as ew.com notes that plan will fail spectacularly. If the plan succeeds, then how
would they do the already scheduled Season 2.

Many people mock this show, but I'm really a big fan. I look forward to watching it every Sunday night. Not every plot or story line is brilliant, but overall it's a very entertaining and thoughtful show.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites