Friday, August 12, 2011

RIP Jani Lane, "AI" Drags On, BSC again

Hello,

Former Warrant singer Jani Lane was found dead in a LA hotel room last night. He was 47. Warrant was one of the mid-80's hair metal bands that I kind of grew up with. Now some of these people whose music I grew up with are starting to die. That reminds me of my mortality even more, Lane is only 3 years older than me. Also to me it's incredibly sad when your body is found in a hotel room. R.I.P. Jani.

Warrant was of the generation of Cinderella, Motley Crue, Tesla, Ratt, Whitesnake and Poison. Many people consider Nirvana's rise as the death knell of heavy metal. Heavy metal had a good 10 year run, I'm still surprised it got as popular as I did. The terribly lame "AI" contestant James Durbin is trying to bring heavy metal back. Instead he's only killing it more. Maybe someday I'll write up a heavy metal blog.

When I think of Warrant and Jani Lane, this will be the video I think of first. Warrant's song dedicated to food, "Cherry Pie". It is about food, right? As of Friday morning this song has 1,664,065 page views.



Some people said Jani Lane hated the above song. Sure it's cheesy and I can see why he would be embarrassed by it. However it's another song that's fun, isn't that what rock music is suppose to be. That song came from their second album. Their first album was much more hard rocking. Here are a few of my favorite songs from their first CD, "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich":

I believe this was their first song, "Down Boys":



The following song is "32 Pennies". Not only does the song rock, but I love the lyrics. This is one of your more intelligent hair metal songs, all things being relative of course.



Yes I know I'm being sappy, but I really love this song:



It's official: all three lame judges from last season's "American Idol" are coming back for Season 11. I guess that J Lo. couldn't find anything else better to do. Well at least she doesn't have to be in "Hawthorne". You could tell in her body language that she was tired of being on the show at the end of last season. These lame, tired judges will lead to another boring season. The 3 praise only judges made me miss Simon Cowell even more.

This show is already so tired. I'm hoping with "X Factor" debuting this fall and another lackluster season of "AI", that its 11th season will be its last season. Fox, you've sucked nearly all the money you can out of this tired franchise, now you are only tarnishing it's rapidly fading reputation. Also returning is Nigel Lythgoe. That means another season of emotional manipulation, excessive hype and under talented performers. Can they find another winner who will under achieve more than the last 3?

I'm still madly in love with Black Stone Cherry. On Spotify I was listening to some of their older music. On their new CD, "Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", they show a lot of growth. There is still some lowest common denominator rock lyrics, but rock music won't ever escape it. However the boys show their growth by branching out with their musical palette. Their brand new CD has 11 solid songs on it and the 12th song probably should have been left off. In trying to create a classic heavy metal ballad, like Warrant's "Heaven" above, they made a very sappy song. But I'll forgive them for having 11 great songs on one CD. With the corporate America emphasis on marketing rather than musicianship not many CDs have even 3 or 4 good songs now.

Here's a couple of other songs from "Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea":

I'm starting off with probably the most fun song on this CD. This song will not mentally tax you in anyway, it's just dumb, fun and goofy. This is "Let Me See You Shake":



This is "Such A Shame" live:



Quick sports hits: 1) The USMNT (United States Men's National Team) played a rematch with Mexico in a friendly in Philadelphia. The USA looked a lot better than they did in their 4-2 beat down at the hands of Mexico in the Gold Cup finals. Some of the main players for both teams didn't play, but that doesn't take away from the USA's effort. I keep on hearing about this Jozy Altidore, but he's never impressed me. However playing for the USA was 18 year old Juan Agudelo. Wow he's really fun to watch and I can see him scoring many goals for the USMNT over the next several years. Put him and Landon Donavon up front and let them attack the defense. It was a good debut Mr. Klinnsman.

2) Baseball: The red hot Phillies start a new series against the mediocre Nationals today. Philadelphia has won 12 of 13 and won 9 of 10 on their recent road swing. The road trip finale was them sweeping the woeful Dodgers, which really isn't that impressive. Not a slight on Philadelphia, but a slight on the damage that Frank McCourt continues to do to this team. All I'm asking is can someone please beat this team? This team is gaining momentum going into the stretch run of this season. They are already going to be very formidable in the post season.

Dan Uggla has hit in his last 31 games and he puts his streak on the line today. The Braves will play at home against the woeful Cubs. (Although the Cubs have shown some life lately, winning 8 of 10 and two in a row.) The temperamental and volcanic Carlos Zambrano will be pitching for the Cubs.

3) I know it's only preseason, but it was so good seeing some real life NFL football last night. Although when I turned on the Dallas-Denver game the first play I saw was Dallas quarterback Stephen McGee being intercepted. I hope that's not an omen for the entire season. He played the rest of the game after Tony Romo and Jon Kitna each played one series. Now if we could only figure out a way to get Tony Romo to only play one series in the regular season:) Again I know it's only preseason, but a win is a win. Against second and third stringers Stephen McGee looked good. He completed 14 of 24 passes for 208 yards. He did throw the interception but he also had 3 touchdown passes. He showed poise in getting the Cowboys a touchdown and two point conversion near the end of the game. Rarely do I see Tony Romo play that well in crunch time and I don't expect it to start this season.

Here are some other good songs:

"Postcards" by An Horse:



Matchbox Twenty's "Back 2 Good" (live):



My favorite Matchbox Twenty song "Bright Lights":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites