Tuesday, August 2, 2011

More Classic MTV Videos

Hello,

More about MTV: People like Duran Duran, Micheal Jackson and Madonna took full advantage of videos, many acts ignored it. Some huge acts only took a cursory interest in the video form. These artists include some of the big acts of the day. For instance, Huey Lewis, Billy Joel, Janet Jackson, Heart, Hall and Oates, Whitney Houston, Pet Shop Boys and Elton John. Feel free to argue if you disagree or let me know videos that you think are classic.

With MTV celebrating their 30th anniversary yesterday, I presented many classic videos. Here are more classic videos:

I don't know if I'd call the following video a classic video, but it certainly is memorable. This is Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch "Good Vibrations":



I do wonder if Mark Wahlberg is embarrassed of the above video now.

Madonna was one of the people who took advantage of videos the best. Of course if the songs weren't good the videos would be a lot less memorable. Unlike many modern musicians, she had several great hits and albums in a short amount of time. She still would have been a huge star, but MTV and videos helped her be a bigger star. "Material Girl":



"Papa Don't Preach":



This is one of those songs that took awhile to grow on me. I understand it better now that I'm older and fought some of the wars of love. The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger":



MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This":



One of the greatest songs of all-time, the video isn't as good. U2's "With or Without You":



Now here's a classic song and a classic video, "Sunday Bloody Sunday":



Here's one of the videos I mentioned yesterday, a music video that also serves as a commercial for a movie. This also is one of my favorite songs ever. It reminds me of that first flush of love that is so uplifting. Peter Cetera's "Glory of Love":



Like Madonna, Michael Jackson used videos very well. In fact with this video and videos for "Thriller" and "Bad" he took videos to the next level. I don't think him being the best with videos and also the biggest star of the 80's is coincidence. Also Michael I think most guys have been there when you sing "smell her sweet perfume". Hopefully most women will never find out how intoxicating that is.

"Billie Jean":



"Thriller":



"Bad":



Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again":



'Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry":



Look at the cutting edge technology in this video :) The Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This):



Not really a classic, but I love this song. Bonus points: it features the great John Malkovich. Annie Lennox's "Walking On Broken Glass":



Bruce Spingsteen's "Dancing In The Dark" featuring a young Courtney Cox.



I would love to put Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" here, but embedding is disabled by request. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites