Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Free Spotify Invites, The Greatness of Sinead O'Connor

Hello,

After some fairly heavy sports blog entries lately I realized I should resume writing about music. After all I am themusicaddict. However I do love sports and reading, so those things will continue to pop up on this blog. Occasionally there will be some personal things as well, although I try to limit those.

This morning I went on Spotify to listen to the new CD by the Pistol Annies. I had a message from Spotify waiting for me. They've selected me to give out Spotify invites. (Although I expect every other regular user of Spotify received a similar opportunity.) I figure those that really want Spotify already have it. However if you don't have Spotify and would like it, just leave a comment on my blog. All I need is your e-mail address and I will send you an invite, there's no quid pro quo. It seems I can send out an unlimited amount of invites.

After about a month of having Spotify, I still like it a lot. I finally cancelled my napster membership yesterday. I was sad about that as at $5.00 it has been a good value. However there's no better value than free. Spotify has about 15 million songs, so it's rare when I can't find the songs I'm looking for on their site. I've only remember two instances of not finding the music I want. When I wrote my blog about Bob Dylan, Spotify had a very limited selection of his music. The second time was when I read about a mid 80's all female metal band called Precious Metal. Spin magazine highly recommended their 1985 CD. It may or may not be called "What You See Is What You Get" and Spotify didn't have it. napster.com didn't have any of their music either. However they do have a myspace.com page and have several videos on youtube.com. Did any of you hear of Precious Metal back in the day? Their name or none of their songs sound familiar to me.

Here's a quick review of some bands I've listened to lately on Spotify. These bands and singers come highly recommended. Chances of listening to again (Cola) follow each opinion.

I'll first start off with the Pistol Annies. I don't know a lot about this band other than Miranda Lambert is in it. I love Miranda Lambert, but these songs sounds like Miranda Lambert. It makes me wonder why not just do another Miranda Lambert solo CD. I do like the song "Hell On Heels" though. Cola: 10%

Airborne Toxic Event: First of all I thought this would be a rock or heavy metal band. Imagine my surprise when I found out they weren't. Not only are they not rock, but they also aren't very good. They sound a lot like Wilco and that's not a compliment. Cola: 5%

Anna Calvi, she had a couple of moments of good music. But it wasn't enough for the hype some publications are giving her. Although she's still young and may get better over time. Cola: 50%.

Skyler Grey, she has sung on some fairly famous songs. Spotify only has two of her solo songs available now. That's not a representative sample, but neither song was that impressive. I will give her another chance when Spotify has more of her music. Cola: 50%.

Taking Back Sunday is generic rock. Cola: 20%.

Wild Flag, which features two members from Sleater-Kinney is okay. Although they have solid rock cred, their music is disappointingly wimpy. Cola: 25%.

Joy Formidable are the best of the bands I listened to recently. They've got a strong rock vibe. They sound a lot like Silversun Pickups, that's a compliment. Cola: 100%

Although they aren't a new band, Precious Metal has some nice moments. They have such cool songs as "Sweet Sweet", "Trouble" and their rocking version of "Mr. Big Stuff". Cola: 95%

Great songs. I first heard this song sung by Lauren Alaina on "American Idol". The song is originally sung by The Band Perry. Here's "If I Die Young":



A little over a month from today I'll be going to see Taylor Swift in concert in Salt Lake City with two of my kids. One of the songs from her recent "Speak Now" CD is "Haunted". It's a song she sang in Denver, so hopefully she'll sing it in Salt Lake City. This is a very cool song that I really like. I'm glad that Taylor is branching out from the pretty limited country genre. This song was recently featured on "True Blood". "Haunted" seems a very good fit with it's Evanescenceish feel:



I really like this song, it's Every Avenue's "Tell Me I'm A Wreck":



Sinead O'Connor is a very interesting person, recently she's completely changed her look. That doesn't take anything away from her amazing singing voice and all the great songs she sings. Enjoy this very literal video for "Red Football":



"Troy":



Sinead O'Connor wrote many angry songs, this is one of her angriest. "Black Boys On Mopeds" is such an amazing song:



If you are trying to explain what catharsis is to someone, show them this video. This is Sinead's very therapeutic, catharsic (okay I made up a new word, if Sarah Palin can do it so can I :) , end of relationship song "The Last Day of Our Acquaintance":



A couple more from Sinead, "The Emperor's New Clothes":



I even love her take on the standard "Success Has Made A Failure of Our Home":



Sinead drops the F bomb in the following song a couple of times, this song is great but not for delicate ears. "Daddy I'm Fine":



Of all the starts of songs this is one of my favorites, I love how the singer starts off with the line I believe in miracles. Hot Chocolate's "You Sexy Thing".



Another song that has an amazing beginning and overall is a great song. The Cure's "Just Like Heaven":



This is one of the most bizarre videos. It was the 80's so what do you expect? Men Without Hats "Safety Dance":



Last but not least a much more recent great song:



themusicaddict



No comments:

Favorites