Wednesday, August 3, 2011

MTV Video memories, Taylor Swift, Pennant Race Baseball

Hello,

With MTV recently celebrating their 30th anniversary, I've been thinking a lot about some of the classic videos. The last couple of days my blog featured classic videos from MTV's heyday. Yesterday I wrote about some very popular 80's artists who surprisingly didn't have very good videos. Today's video theme is songs that should have good videos.

Many of these songs came before videos exploded or I've never seen a video for the song. The thing that got me thinking about this came when I was exercising this morning. I heard the opening notes of "Tom Sawyer" and I thought that song should have a great video. Here's the list which I will be adding to as I think of new songs. Feel free to make any suggestions.

1) "Tom Sawyer"- Rush
2) "Gallows Pole"- The mighty Zep
3) "Camouflage"- Stan Ridgway I absolutely love the end of this song.

This is the video for the above video, but this is a wasted opportunity:



4) "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"- Gene Pitney This is one of the all-time great songs.
5) "19" by Paul Hardcastle

It seems the above song has a video, I've never seen this video before:



6) "Breakfast In America"- Supertramp

Speaking of "Breakfast In America", I think this James Blunt cover is pretty cool:



7) "The Logical Song"- Supertramp
8) "Renegade"- Styx
9) "The Kid Is Hot Tonight"- Loverboy
10) "Dance Little Jean"- The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
11) "Evenflow"- Pearl Jam

Tiger Woods is making his return to playing golf tomorrow. Seriously why is this still a story? Who cares? Why do people care so much about the 28th ranked golfer in the world? I hope he doesn't make the cut, that would make me laugh. Woods recently fired the caddy who has been with him for so many years. ESPN this morning actually wasted my time wondering who Tiger's new caddy would be. Rick Reilly had one of his alleged funny pieces about a potential new caddy for Tiger. Reilly included Bill Gates and a sumo wrestler, um let me know when the funny begins.

Seriously why is Taylor Swift so good? She's on my mind a lot lately as I'll be going and seeing her in concert in a bit less than two months. How is someone that's only 21 have so many good songs, many of which she wrote or co wrote. This is the first song she released. Although the theme is kind of young, this is a very mature well written song.



Too bad she's not singing the above song on her latest tour.

This is her second song released, both are from her debut CD, which is self-titled. Too bad she isn't singing this song on her current tour either.



She was only 17 when the third song from her debut CD was released, that song is "Our Song". Thankfully this is one of her older (older being relative) songs she actually is singing on her current tour. Seriously this is an incredible song, I would love this song to be our song when I meet that special person.



Then she followed up those three pretty good songs with two classics. And unfortunately she isn't singing either one of these songs on her current tour. Now this is a great video. Taylor Swift and her people know how to make a quality video. "Picture To Burn":



"Should've Said No":



In the song she asks "was it worth it"? I would have to say "no". I can't quite decide whether or not Taylor Swift is a complete babe. Of course, even having those thoughts makes me feel like a pervert.

All the above songs are off her debut CD that she released when she was 16! That's so amazing someone so young can write such great songs. Then add to that she is also attractive and has a nice singing voice. She's no Lea Michele, but she certainly holds her own. (Thanks to wikipedia.org).

This is a song that starts out strongly, but ends weakly and goes on too long. I like it enough that I would recommend it still. I listened to The Band Perry last night on Spotify, they have a few good songs.



Also one final thing: Since I'm your friend let me save you from the SyFy show "Alphas". I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed. I didn't plan on watching another episode. However last night I was tired and bored so I watched the first few minutes of the second episode. It was so bad that I only watched about 15 minutes of it before turning it off.

What's wrong with "Alphas"? Everything. Never has a show had such a lame collection of characters. I don't necessarily need to care about the characters but they should at least be compelling. Not only are these characters not compelling, I wouldn't even say they are characters. They are cliches: the smart guy in charge, the really strong guy, the women with powers of persuasion.

The stories are stretched longer than they need to be, with a ton of filler. The show is neither smart nor funny. Please SyFy kill this show off asap. You do have better ideas than that right?

If you want to watch something else that's much better, there's a lot of great baseball on TV now. With only about 50 games left in the regular season the pennant races are really heating up. For instance, last night on the MLB Network was the near bean brawl game between Milwaukee and St. Louis. The tension was palpable even though I was hundreds of miles away. Also on some channels there was the Philadelphia-Colorado game. Tonight at 8:00pm it's the hated Yankees playing Chicago. Then on Sunday Night Baseball the beloved Red Sox play at Fenway against the Yankees at 8:00pm.

The Braves are playing right now as I'm writing this and thankfully their bats have woken up. They have jumped out to a 6-0 lead over the terrible Nationals. After a brutal start Dan Uggla has been absolutely on fire. As of today he has a 25 game hitting streak. So far he has also had a home run. Freddie Freeman also has an 18 game hitting streak as of today. New Brave Michael Bourn has scored two runs today, exactly what the speedy lead off hitter is suppose to do.

I don't expect the Braves to catch the Phillies, but I do expect them to beat out the NL West's second best team for the NL Wild Card. The gap had been closed to 1.5 games yesterday.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites