Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"Mad Men" Bounces Back, Rewind 100.7 Playlist Suggestions, Go Red Sox and Heat

Hello,

I finally got around to seeing the latest episode of "Mad Men" last night. (I love the DVR!) This latest episode, "The Other Woman", is a return to form. Just some quick thoughts.

1) Peggy Olsen may be leaving SCDP, but she's not going to leave the show? Right? Peggy telling Don that she was quitting SCDP was one of the most poignant moments in this show's proud history. I wish that Don hadn't ruined the moment with his sarcasm and selfishness. What should have been even a sweeter moment was lost in his bitterness. Although great moments ruined by a bad moments seemed to be the theme of this episode. There was another uneasy mix of good and bad moments at the end of the episode. While the rest of SCDP was celebrating signing Jaguar, their first car!, Peggy left SCDP for perhaps the last time.

That final scene was triumphant then bittersweet before closing out again as a triumphant moment. I understood what she was going through as she left the office. She was looking at the place where she made all those good memories one more time. I worked at a place for many years and have some of my fondest memories there. It was a very bittersweet moment when I walked out of there. However as she got on to the elevator and the Kinks started play Peggy realized what a bright future she had elsewhere.
"Mad Men" brilliantly worked this song into that bittersweet closing moment:



2) The Pete Campbell slime train keeps on rolling on. I'm disappointed that Herb brought up the idea of sleeping with Joan. (If Herb looked familiar to you, it's because he played a cop on "Blue Bloods" a cop cooking the books to increase his chances of getting a promotion.) I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that Campbell pandered to the client, instead of putting an immediate stop to it. But then he brings up the repellent idea to Joan for her to think about it? I'm glad that Don was against the idea, but I'm disappointed that he didn't do more to prevent it. It was nice that he went to her apartment, but we realized later it was too late by this point. I'm also disappointed that Roger Sterling wasn't more forceful in stopping Joan's prostitution. Although she received a devil's ransom I'm disappointed that Joan actually accepted the offer and did the deed. She now owns 5% of the company and is a voting partner. Does she think that's worthwhile for selling her soul? If and when will SCDPH reflect their new name?

We know that Pete will do anything for the job, but this was even slimy by his standards. Now that Pete has slept with at least 3 other women outside the bonds of matrimony, he thinks everyone else might do the same thing for the right price. I also hate how this slime ball thinks he's in charge at SCDP. He really is a small, morally decrepit man. How much longer will Trudy put up with him? And why is she putting up with him now?

And how much longer will Megan and Don stay together? Did anyone really think this marriage would last. Don represents a more old fashioned time, while Megan represents the newness of 1967. This is reflected in their opinions of the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows".

I'm so excited this movie is finally going to be released, love me some "Les Mis":



Quick sports notes: the Red Sox have finally broken through to an above .500 record. Go Red Sox! The Red Sox are now 25-24, with a 39.8% chance of making the playoffs. They play in the very tough AL East and still remain in last place. The AL East standings are compressed. Even though Boston is in last place, they only trail co first place Tampa Bay and Baltimore by 3.5 games. (In comparison the Dodgers lead the NL West's second place Giants by 5.5 games.) Boston has won 7 of 10 games and 2 in a row. Although things will be tougher if Dustin Pedroia is really going to be out for a few weeks. They've really been snake bitten by the injury bug the last couple of seasons.

From a Boston team I'm cheering for to a Boston team I'm cheering against, the Celtics. I expect the Heat to take a 2-0 lead on the Celtics tonight. At this point it looks like we are barreling towards a NBA Finals between San Antonio and Miami. Before we get there though, what is Boston going to do tonight in regards to their promise of being more physical? How will Miami respond? We've seen how the Heat responded to Indiana's increased physical play. It only inspired the Heat to dominate and close out that series. If Miami's wins as relatively easily as they did Monday night, this series could be a sweep.

Although the Spurs aren't exciting, they certainly know how to win. Congratulations to them winning 20 consecutive games, including going 10-0 in the playoffs. The fact that they aren't overhyped like the Knicks, Lakers or Magic keeps them low profile enough that their constant winning doesn't annoy as much. I think I heard more about the Lakers in their losing than San Antonio in winning. The Spurs probably have been the consistently best team over the last several years. But due to their low profile, you wouldn't know it. I believe the Spurs like to have their profile so low.

All songs below are songs either I heard on Rewind 100.7 or I remembered because of a song I heard on Rewind 100.7. Listening more to Rewind 100.7 I'm liking their music playlist for the most part. Although all their songs have been by white artists, other than this song.



Seriously Prince needs to be represented as well, to me this is the ultimate radio song of the 80s. I was going to put the video for Prince's "When Doves Cry". However Prince has it locked down so tight that even videos with just the music and lyrics aren't even available. Prince it's time to loosen the strings and allow the real versions of your songs to be played on youtube. Believe me the other artists attempting to perform your classic songs just doesn't do your music justice.

I forgot how great this Madonna song is, "Cherish":



Rewind 100.7 actually played the short version of this song. However I prefer the long version of Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus":



Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up The Sun":



Rewind 100.7 may I humbly suggest adding this song to your playlist. I know it's way outside of the mainstream. However it's a great song and fits in with all the other songs you play. The band is The Producers and the song is "I Love Lucy". I probably only know of this band because their videos were played on MTV back in the day. (Ahh the good old days when I actually watched and cared about MTV.)



or you could play another great Producers song "What's He Got":



And I have no idea why this song doesn't get any more attention as one of the all-time great 80's songs. I can listen to it over and over again. Boom Crash Opera's "Onion Skin":



This is also a great 80s song that is sadly under appreciated, the Sunday's "Here's Where The Story Ends":



How about this one, 'Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry":



One more humble suggestion Rewind 100.7. How about the Nena classic "99 Luftbaloons":



themusicaddict

1 comment:

Justin M said...

I love the vibe of the Soak Up The Sun video.

Favorites