Sunday, November 18, 2012

"Catfish" and other MTV Shows, "Last Resort" update

Hello,

I've long mocked MTV for not playing videos anymore, especially in place of some of the stupid TV shows they have. Seriously "Jersey Shore" for instance? How did that show even get made, let alone become a hit?

So no one is more surprised than me that there are three MTV shows that I'm watching now. Last week  was the first episode of "Catfish". It has a similar theme to the movie of the same name. The TV series features the very likable Nev and Max. Like the movie, the series follows the story of two people who meet online. The first episode is about Sunny and Jamison who've developed an on-line relationship. This episode focuses mostly on Sunny and she thinks she has found "the one". Nev and Max dig into Jamison's story a bit and discover some rather large holes in his story. They relate those details to Sunny, but she still wants to meet Jamison. Sunny seems to have suspicions of her own, but she still proceeds. They finally do meet and Sunny is in for the shock of her life.

I like that the show does a follow up on the people we are introduced to in the show. This first episode gave a follow up on Sunny and Jamison a year after they met. While I do like "Catfish", a hour is a bit long. This show would be perfect at 45 minutes long. There are also too many commercials, fortunately on Comcast On Demand I can fast forward through those.

Sadly there are many people who portray themselves as someone else on-line.



So be careful when you "meet" people online, because a person can be anyone they want to be online. You don't really "meet" them until it's in person. Some people take full advantage of being anyone they want to be. Also some people are out to take advantage of others. Remember if someone or something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I also enjoy the show "Underemployed". The show follows 5 friends, their romantic relationships, jobs and interactions with each other. It has a lot of funny moments as well as a lot of heart.

I also enjoy the show "In-betweeners", a show I've written about before. This show reminds me so much of "The Young Ones", a show shown on MTV back in the day. Both shows are so stupid, but yet also incredibly hilarious. I find myself laughing in spite of myself many times.

I highly recommend all three shows to anyone that wants to enjoy themselves and escape temporarily.

Also it was announced this past week that "The Last Resort" has been cancelled. This should come as no shock to anyone who actually has seen it. It had an amazing first episode, but has steadily gone downhill since then. The first 13 episodes will be shown, but then that's it. (Thanks to ew.com.)

"Partners" and "666 Park Avenue" were also cancelled. I never saw either show, but never felt the desire. I'm not surprised that both of those shows were cancelled. Yet somehow the incredibly stupid "Ben and Kate", "Guys With Kids" and "The Neighbors" continue on.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites