Thursday, November 8, 2012

"Castle" or "Revolution"? "Castle" please

Hello,

Each week the two shows I want to watch the most are "The Walking Dead" and "Nashville". I'm also a big fan of "Castle" and "The Good Wife", both of those shows have a great mix of drama and humor. Also "Blue Bloods" isn't going to win any awards for being the best show. However I do faithfully watch it every week. I love it's mix of family and police work. I hope that Jennifer Esposito can join the cast again soon.

Meanwhile shows that I've stopped looking forward to include "Revolution" and "The Last Resort". Every Monday "Castle" and "Revolution" are on at the same time. I choose one to watch then and then I catch the other one on my DVR later. Previously this season I always had picked "Revolution" to watch first. However this past Monday, I just wasn't up for watching the ridiculous "Revolution". I just couldn't tolerate the horrible acting, the effeminate villain and this show's several flaws. I still haven't watched that episode of "Revolution" and I honestly don't know if I will.

At the end of every episode of "Revolution" we see the J.J. Abrams Bad Robot cartoon. I'm starting to wonder is JJ Abrams overrated? Although I joined the "Lost" bandwagon a few years after most people, I still absolutely loved it's first two seasons. That was some of the most captivating storytelling and coolest characters I've ever seen in a television series. However after those amazing two seasons the show started going downhill. I still haven't completed the whole series. I got to "Lost's" fifth season and the show at that point is virtually unwatchable.

Also last season from Bad Robot came "Alcatraz", a show that never hit it's stride. I watched the first 11 episodes hoping the show would become at least good. However it never did. Then I couldn't even watch the two part finale, I just didn't care what the so-called secrets were. Then with "Revolution", a show that wasn't created by Abrams, but by Eric Kripke. However Abrams fingers are all over it. That's both a good and bad thing. "Revolution" is a lot like the 2012 Dallas Cowboys. Both have a lot of potential, but have yet to live up to that potential. And at this point I don't think either will.

And "The Last Resort" seems to have become the same story each week. I'm glad they landed on San Marino, that does give them some flexibility in expanding the potential story lines. Although I still am not sure if I'm going to watch tonight's episode. After an amazing first episode it has been steadily going downhill. I love all the main actors, but the stories haven't been strong.

Instead this past Monday I went with "Castle", a show that's always delivers entertaining. If nothing else the show also features Stana Katic, one of the most beautiful women in the world. Nathan Fillion is also great as Richard Castle. But it's just not those two actors. All the ensemble cast are great. I love Jon Huertas as Detective Javier Esposito and Seamus Dever as Detective Kevin Ryan. Esposito and Ryan play off each other so well, they also keep Castle in line. I love how respectful of Castle and Beckett's relationship they are. I also like Castle's family: Molly Quinn as his daughter Alexis and Susan Sullivan as his mother Martha Rogers. Overall it's just a great cast.

The producers and writers do a great job of keeping the stories fairly fresh, although many times the cases are similar. But I don't watch the show for the cases. The cases are just the basic premise for all the other stories going on. So far I've been a big fan of Castle and Beckett FINALLY getting together. Will the producers commit to keeping this winning couple together or is this just another stop on their love journey? What I watch the show for is because I like to laugh and the great chemistry of the cast.

This past week's "Castle" was a bit over the top, but still had many hilarious moments. The episode is titled "The Final Frontier". The case is about a super fan who's working to create a fan experience for other fans at a Comic Con like convention. She was trying to create a fan experience for a show that only lasted 12 episodes. She was a hard core fan and bought the actual rights to the show when those rights weren't worth much. The super fan was killed by someone because she wouldn't sell the rights to the series. Through her hard work, she had made the series potentially profitable. Which one of the stars from the series was the killer?

The humor came from Castle being a sci-fi geek and mocking this show. Beckett also showed that she was a big fan of the original show. She even dressed up like one of the characters, Chloe. That gave the show many chances with in jokes. This episode gently mocked and parodied classic sci-fi like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek". Fillion even got a reference to the television show he starred in, "Firefly". To top off the unique sci-fi theme the director of this episode was none other than Jonathan Frakes. He portrayed William T. Riker, or #1, on "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I loved the classic corniness of the original "Star Trek" but "TNG" was overall probably the best of the "Star Trek" series.

Anyway so going forward what I'm saying is that I'm watching "Castle" first. Although there's no guarantees that I'll be watching "Revolution".

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites