Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Billboard's Top Songs When themusicaddict Was Found Under A Rock (June 10th, 1967)

Hello,

I would like to thank Billboard Magazine for making this list available on the internet.

Have you ever wondered what the top songs were when you were born? Well I did wonder about that and thanks to Google I found Billboard's Top 100 + Bubbling Under (Songs 101-120) for my exact birthdate of June 10th, 1967. Reading this list I'm amazed at how many amazing songs, songs that we now consider classics, were on this one list. But also on this list there were some songs and bands that I had never heard of. If you would like to read the list, here's the link:

http://books.google.com/booksid=2ycEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA57&dq=billboards+top+10+songs+on+June+10th,+1967+united+states&hl=en&sa=X&ei=etnU5vOKorEoAS05IDwBg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=true

As I'm wont to do when researching a topic about music, I listen to the music I'm writing about. Thanks to Spotify I can do just that. I would personally like to thank David Garza for his 1,320 song, 64 hour and 21 minute playlist of the the songs of 1967.

How much of the dreck played on the radio will be considered classics 47 years from now? My guess is not many. I don't think Ke$ha or Miley Cyrus will even be remembered by then.

Bizarre songs include: The Monkees "Zilch", Donavan's "Epistle to Dippy" (yes, that's a real song) and The Royal Guardsmen "Airplane Song".

Stand out songs from 1967 I'd never heard before or shouldn't have been forgotten: Shirley Bassey's "Big Spender", The Seekers "Georgy Girl", Aretha Franklin's "Lee Cross", Cher's "You Better Sit Down" (a heartbreaking song about telling kids about their parents getting divorced), Freddie Scott's "Am I Grooving You",  Ronnie Dove's "I Wanna Love You For What You Are", Engelbert Humperdinck's "Theres A Hush (All Over The World)", Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons "C'mon Marianne".

Bassey's "Big Spender":



Here's the songs I find intriguing from the top 120 of June 10th, 1967: (Sadly for some reason Youtube isn't allowing people to add songs to blogs etc. today. Hopefully later I'll be able to add videos for all these songs.)

113) " Carrie Ann"- The Hollies:



68) "I Was Made To Love Her"- Stevie Wonder
61) "Light My Fire"- The Doors:



44) " Up-Up and Away"- The Fifth Dimension:



33) "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead"- Fifth Estate



32) "San Francisco: Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair"- Scott McKenzie (one of my personal favs):



29) "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"- Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell:



26) "New York Mining Disaster (Have You Seen My Wife Mr. Jones)"- The Bee Gees
24) "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon"- Neil Diamond



17) "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You"- Frankie Valli (Which was remade so masterfully by Lauryn Hill in 1998.)



Lauryn Hill's version:



15) "Let's Live For Today"- The Grass Roots:



12) "Windy"- The Association:



10) "Creeque Alley"- The Mamas & The Papas
9) "All I Need Is You"- The Temptations
8) "Little Bit 'O' Soul"- Music Explosion (This is a song that I didn't recognize by the title, but when I played it I knew this song. Great song!)



7) "She'd Rather Be With Me"- The Turtles
6) "Somebody To Love"- Jefferson Airplane:



5) "Him Or Me- What's It Gonna Be"- Paul Revere and the Raiders
4) "Release Me (And Let Me Love Again)- Engelbert Humperdinck
3) "I Got Rhythm"- Happenings
2) "Groovin' "- Young Rascals

And the #1 song is one of the greatest and best songs of all-time, easily a Top 500 song: The Queen of Soul's "Respect":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites