Friday, August 21, 2020

(Finished August 22nd, 2020) The Glory Days of MTV 1981-1985, Part 1

Hello,

Imagine if you will a hot summer, back when time moved slowly, no driver's license and not much to do. Imagine if there's a really new innovation called cable TV, but honestly there's not that much to watch. Let's fast forward to August 1st, 1981 when MTV first started. Now imagine that you don't have access to MTV but you hear a lot about how cool it is. Sure there are a couple of other places to watch videos, but they're not 24 hours. Finally a year or two later there you are on that hot summer day watching video after video on MTV and absolutely love it. Although these blogs are focusing on 1981-1985, I will include videos from before if they were also memorable. Now almost 40 years later on this hot summer day imagine this is that long ago hot summer day and enjoy....

Sometimes I'm not sure what the original video or I can't find the original video, but I did my best.

A&E is starting a series on Tuesday called "I Want My MTV", here's a trailer.



To tie in with that I am continuing my series of the the glory days of MTV 1981-1985. I have enough songs for at least 14 of these blogs and there are dozens of songs that I haven't found yet. I'm in process of finding at least most of those songs.

Although this song was released in 1979 it also was the first video played on MTV so I'm counting it for purposes of this blog. 1) The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star":


Great musician, great song but not a very memorable video. 2) Pat Benatar "You Better Run":


3) The Who "You Better You Bet":


4) The Pretenders "Brass In Pocket":



5) REO Speedwagon "Take It On The Run":



6) Styx "Rockin' The Paradise":



7) .38 Special "Hold On Loosely":



8) April Wine "Just Between You and Me":



9) Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight":



10) Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around":



11) Rod Stewart "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy":



12) Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street":



13) Styx "Best of Times":



This is a video I hadn't seen until working on this blog. This song is a cool song, but it's a bit of a hidden gem. 14) Tom Johnston "Savannah Nights":



15) Blotto "I Wanna Be A Lifeguard":



16) REO Speedwagon "Don't Let Him Go":



17) Juice Newton "Angel of the Morning":



From my research April Wine didn't have any official videos at all. But they had at least three great songs. "I Like To Rock" looks like a official video though.
18) April Wine "Sign of the Gypsy Queen":



19) Saga "On The Loose":



This is such a great song. Since videos were fairly new people were still learning how to make videos. This video isn't a great video. 20) Michael Stanley Band "He Can't Love You":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites