Wednesday, October 5, 2022

(Updated October 5th, 2022) Part 2 of Songs With The Best Lyrics

Hello,

What makes a great song? Well to typically be a classic song you need a combination of great music and great lyrics. But it's easier to be a great song with great music than great lyrics. But the combination of both is an amazing combination.

12) Simon and Garfunkel "The Sounds of Silence":

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared 
Disturb the sound of silence


13) John Lennon "Imagine":
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

"I can't pretend a stranger is a long lost friend". That's one of my favorite lyrics of all-time. Neil Peart was a genius writer of lyrics. 14) Rush "Limelight":

Living in a fish eye lens
Caught in the camera eye
I have no heart to lie
I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long-awaited friend

All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage


15) Pink Floyd "Time":

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.


16) Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb":

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb


17) Christina Perri "A Thousand Years":
I have died everyday, waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

Time stands still
Beauty in all she is
I will be brave
I will not let anything, take away
What's standing in front of me
Every breath, every hour has come to this

One step closer


18) The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again":
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no

Yeah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss


19) My Chemical Romance "Welcome To The Black Parade":

Sometimes I get the feelin'
She's watchin' over me
And other times I feel like I should go
And through it all, the rise and fall
The bodies in the streets
And when you're gone, we want you all to know

We'll carry on, we'll carry on
And though you're dead and gone, believe me
Your memory will carry on
We'll carry on
And in my heart, I can't contain it
The anthem won't explain it


19) Pearl Jam "Black":
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star
In somebody else's sky
But why
Why
Why can't it be
Oh can't it be mine

20) Alice In Chains "Rooster":
Walkin' tall machine gun man
They spit on me in my home land
Gloria sent me pictures of my boy
Got my pills 'gainst mosquito death
My buddy's breathin' his dyin' breath
Oh god please won't you help me make it through

Here they come to snuff the rooster, ah yeah
Yeah here come the rooster, yeah
You know he ain't gonna die
No, no, no ya know he ain't gonna die

21) Little Big Town "The Breaker":

No comments:

Favorites