Tuesday, April 22, 2008

American Idol 4/22

Hello,

Tonight was the Top 6 of American Idol and the finalists were singing songs from the musicals of Andrew Lloyd Webber. The show started off with one of the best performances from the night. One of my favorite contestants, Syesha Mercado, who sang "One Rock and Roll Too Many" brilliantly. This is from the musical "Starlight Express", one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's lesser known works. In fact I had never heard this song but I really liked it and I loved Syesha Mercado's version.

Then we had Jason Castro singing "Memory", one of the most popular songs of all-time. This song is so beautiful and I liked Jason Castro's vibe, but I just did not think his performance was good. Also it was funny that Castro did not know the song was sung by a cat, or "glamourpuss" as Andrew Lloyd Webber called him. Yes this song is from "Cats" based on the poetry of T.S. Eliot.

Then up next was the TCWCBN (the contestant who cannot be named) and he changed around "Think of Me". He changed it around and his arrangement sucked, not only that but he was boring. I just don't get why the judges love him so much.

We then had Brooke, she was not the babbling Brooke tonight, but unfortunately she was not very good. She messed up on the start of the song and started over again, I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with "You Must Love Me" and her performance of it. I think she personified the weakness of tonight, nobody seemed to understand the context of these songs. For instance this song is about Evita as she is laying on her death bed. So here's a idea Brooke, put some emotion in that song.

We then had my other favorite performance of the night. That is Carly Smithson's excellent "Jesus Christ Superstar". I think "Jesus Christ Superstar" is one of Webber's most underappreciated musicals. Anyway this was a fun song for her. She clearly had fun singing it and that helped her loosen up.

We then had David Cook singing "Music of the Night". I was a little disappointed with his performance. He sang it a lot like the original. I was hoping he would mix it up a bit and rock it out. So while it was a solid performance, it was not a transcendent performance. I still think his "Always Be My Baby" was the best performance of the season. I think Jason Castro's version of "Hallelujah" was a close second.

My prediction for the bottom three: Brooke White, Jason Castro and hopefully TCWCBN. I think Brooke is going home this week. I won't miss her, she started out the season with so much potential. good night, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites