Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Happy Birthday iTunes

Hello,

Today is iTunes fifth birthday. Happy Birthday iTunes, thanks for all the great music. Songs that knocked me out on my iPod today include Jordin Sparks "I Who Have Nothing" and Carly Smithson's "Blackbird". Why again is she not on the show anymore? She is a better singer than any of the remaining contestants. Five years from now the only one of the remaining contestants I can see having more success than her is David Cook. TCWCNB will be an "AI" footnote like Taylor Hicks.

Tonight's "American Idol" was a mixed bag. Why do the judges love "TCWCBN" so much. The first song he sang was okay but his version of "America" was terrible. He is just not manly enough to sing that song. Jason Castro does not care anymore, he is just going though the motions now. He just wants to get back to Texas and enjoy a bong. Also I think a good strategy at this point is not to win. According to the fine EW writers Adam B. Vary and Michael Slezak the 20 songs competing for finale song are all pretty awful. Who wants to have a song as lame as "Do I Make You Proud?" attached to their resume. Other bad things about winning, look what happened to Jordin Sparks who won last year. She was pushed to do all this promotional work and now she has something wrong with her throat. I am not saying one lead to the other, but all that promotion work did not help her voice either.

Brooke White's first song was okay, I wish she would stop disagreeing with the judges though but the second song she sang "I Am...I Said" was fantastic. I had thought she had completely lost her mojo, but that was pretty darn great. (In other news she is Carly Simon's favorite "AI" contestant, although Carly Smithson was named after her.)

Again David Cook had two solid performances, I actually have to agree with the seemingly wasted Paula Abdul in that he will probably be the next winner of "AI". Seriously was she drunk or stoned because she certainly wasn't lucid. I also thought it was funny that the producers of "AI" thought she could do quick critique's. Why did they not realize that would be a problem?

Last and certainly not least, Syesha Mercado. Her first song, "Hello Again" was good. I just think she has a great voice. I liked her second performance even more "Thank The Lord for the Nighttime". I was a little disappointed in that I thought she could rock it out just a little bit more. But overall a very good performance. I do have to agree with Simon though when he said Syesha "might be in a bit of trouble". I don't think it's for the reasons Simon said, I think it is all about fan bases. The other four contestants have such solid fanbases, they would have to announce they kill babies or some other atrocity to lose a big segment of their fan bases. Then it is not a guarantee that those votes would go to Syesha.

One more note about "AI" I will be working tomorrow when the results show will be on. My wife is recording it for me, so my review will be up soon.

One final note I saw the weirdest thing in my life. Def Leppard was on "Dancing With The Stars" and they sang two songs. They sang "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and their new song "Nine Lives". "Dancing" is one of those shows that my wife watches and I have to watch with her. So if she hadn't been watching this I would have never seen this strange spectacle. Def Leppard rules. I read an article in Blender magazine today, Taylor Swift is a huge Def Leppard fan.

One more Def Leppard note, their new CD is out today. The title is "Songs From The Sparkle Lounge". Oh now I see why the "DWTS" producers thought that Def Leppard might be a good fit. Also Madonna's "Hard Candy" is in stores as well. Unfortunately I am in a bit of a financial pinch now, so there will be reviews of these CD's when I have some money. There are about 10 great CD's out now that I would go buy if I had the money.

Anyway here are some other songs that rocked my iPod today, in no particular order: 1) "No Cars Go"- Arcade Fire 2) "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"- Led Zeppelin 3) "We Looked Like Giants"- Death Cab for Cutie (I know I already have mentioned this song but it is just great.) 4) "License To Kill"- Gladys Knight 5) "The Silence Between Us"- Bob Mould 6) "Breakdown Dead Ahead"- Boz Skaggs 7)"Boom, Boom"- John Lee Hooker 8) "If I Were A Carpenter"- Johnny and June Carter Cash and 9) "Baby Hold On" by The Dixie Chicks.

good day themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites