Saturday, April 12, 2008

(Updated December 11th, 2019) The "Chinese Democracy" Question

Hello,

I'm not a professional in the industry. Anything you read on this site I'm getting from my own feeble mind. Please take everything with a grain of salt. This is my first post, be gentle.

In April, 2008 I wondered if "Chinese Democracy" would ever be released. Then of course would it be any good? Then the third and final question, would anyone care?

I read on two different websites that Axl Rose has finally handed in the complete, long rumored CD "Chinese Democracy". He's been working on this CD for about 13 years, it's taken so long to complete that Slash left the band during it's recording. Apparently this CD has cost about $13 million to make. In other words Geffen is going to have to sell one bazillion copies, approximately, to make a profit. So is it any good? You can find grainy clips of some of the songs on youtube.com from the concerts in which these songs were played. These grainy videos don't do justice to any musician.

I know there are a lot of G 'N' R haters out there who hope this CD sucks. However as a music fan, I hope this CD kicks serious butt. There's a dearth of excellent rock music so kick our butts Axl. I hear a lot of people go on and on about how influential Nirvana and "Nevermind" were. Whatever. A truly influential band is Guns 'N' Roses. "Appetite For Destruction" is one of the Top 100 CDs of all-time. Too bad Axl got too big for his britches. Velvet Revolver is okay but there's only one Guns N' Roses. For those that don't believe get in the ring.

July 2, 2013: It's strange going back and reading the first blog I ever wrote. As of summer, 2013 according to blogger.com this blog entry hasn't received one view ever. That's fine, that means other than myself, no one has read it. I spent a few minutes editing and improving it.

"Chinese Democracy" was released on November 23rd, 2008 and ended up being a bomb, which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It had taken too long to create and release, how many times did music trends change during the recording of this?

In my opinion "Chinese Democracy" is a perfectly good CD, they were never going to make another "Appetite For Destruction" or for that matter another "Use Your Illusion" It's almost 5 years later and there's word out that there will be another Guns N' Roses CD. However the anticipation for it a "Chinese Democracy" follow up is almost nonexistent. I'll listen to it when it comes out eventually.

December 11th, 2019: Yet another update and this blog has gone from 0 to 1 page view. I'm fairly certain that person wasn't me. Previously I had written about a dearth of great rock music, thankfully in 2019 that has been resolved. There's so much great rock music now, it's hard trying to keep up with it.

This is my favorite song from "Chinese Democracy", "Better":


The other of the best songs from "Chinese Democracy", "Sorry":


"Riad N' The Bedouins":


"I.R.S.":


"Street of Dreams":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites