Friday, April 25, 2008

Tidbits and Nuggets

Hello friends,

Yes Tidbits and Nuggets, my favorite 70's band.

For all of you waiting to buy CD's from your American Idol favorites, here is some good news. amazon.com has a first to know link you can sign up for, you will receive an e-mail as soon as their new CD's come out. Of course their will also be massive publicity of course and it will probably be timed with the "AI" tour. For "AI" tour dates go to americanidol.com. I hear TCWCBN's CD is going to be called, "I Can Only Sing one Style of Song".

Other "AI" news next week Neil Diamond is going to be the mentor for the final five contestants. For enquiring minds Carly Smithson was going to sing "Sweet Caroline". Also here's hoping David Cook goes back to his adding a rock twist to the song he sings. I am thinking for him "America" would be a good choice. Also although it is a little more obscure, I think "On The Robert E Lee" would be a good choice for him. For TCWCBN I think "Amazed and Confused" from "The Jazz Singer" would be a good song choice for him. Not that it has anything to do with the song but more because I am amazed and confused that he is hasn't been kicked off the show yet. For Jason Castro I can see him singing "I Am...I Said" or "Yesterday's Songs". I can just see TCWCBN and Brooke White fighting over "Heartlight" right now. That is easily one of his best songs. Then I think Syesha should stick with a upbeat song, she rocked that "One Rock 'N' Too Many" song. Perhaps "Thank the Lord for the Nighttime", or maybe "You Baby" would be good choices for her. And for Carly Smithson I think, oh yeah she was unwisely voted off by America.

Also both Syesha Mercado's "One Rock 'N' Too Many" and Carly Smithson's "Superstar" are both well worth the 99 cents.

Now on to some none-"AI" news: As I mentioned previously Jesse L. Martin quit "Law and Order" to star in a movie about Marvin Gaye. I think he will do a great job, he has a pretty good voice. Marvin Gaye was a great singer and had a solid career. But one thing he struggled with was live performance. I am basing that on the worst live CD I ever heard, it is called "Music Legend: Marvin Gaye In Concert". He stretches these songs way past their normal running time. He doesn't do it for the better either. So avoid this CD at all costs unless you are buying it for a white elephant gift.

Here's some music to check out, something old, something new. The old being The Eagles classic 1979 CD "The Long Run". This is a great CD that features such classics as "The Long Run", "Heartache Tonight", "In The City" and "I Can't Tell You Why". The Eagles also released a CD in 2007. It is titled "Long Road Out of Eden". It is an good CD and has some great songs on it. This was the first Eagles CD since "The Long Run". To make up for that 28 years between releases this CD is a double CD. The new CD has sold about 2.8 million CD's the last I heard, even though for the first couple of month's it was only available at Wal Mart and the Eagles website.

The new: Two bands I would like to highlight. The first being "The Pipettes", a band that brings back that old girl group feeling of the 60's. Their best song is titled "ABC" off the "We are the Pipettes" CD.For those of you who like Amy Winehouse. Also the other band is The Gossip. They have two great songs from their first CD, "Listen Up" and "Standing In the Way of Control". For those of who like your bands led by a big powerful female band. One final note, if you have not bought Paramore's "Riot" yet go buy it. It is well worth the few dollars you will spend for it.

Two more notes: 1) Remember today is Free Music Friday over at goombah.com. You can get 15 songs free including Cake's classic song "Rock 'N' Roll Lifestyle" plus some other choice songs. Also here is obscure song of the week, a song that should not be obscure. It is from the 80's, the best decade for music, the song is My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone) by the band Chiliwack.

Remember the 80's. You had great pop like Madonna. You had great rock like U2, Pat Benatar, Def Leppard, Joan Jett, Loverboy and Foreigner. That was also the peak for rap music, the Beastie Boys and Run-DMC were at their peaks. That was also the time that Public Enemy was "Bringing The Noise" and LL Cool J was "Goin' Back To Cali" and his "Mama Said To Knock You Out". (I took a little liberty with the titles, forgive me.) There was also great one hit wonders like Dexy's Midnight Runners and Big Country. That was also the peak of the great 80's Heavy Metal era personified by Guns 'N' Roses, Motley Crue and Cinderella. Yes I am old and am having a nostalgic moment.
that is it for now friends, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites