Friday, January 29, 2010

"AI" auditions L.A. & Dallas Part 1

Hello,

I'll start with the LA auditions first, 10 auditions were shown. Only 5 of those were good, making my top 5 was very easy. I don't know about you but I'm sick of the auditions. Next year I think auditions should be reduced to 3 weeks. We can still have 8 cities and can extend the episodes if we need to. But four weeks of auditions is just too long, I'm so ready for Hollywood week already.

January 26th, 2010 We had special guest judges Avril Lavigne (sort of boring!) and Katy Perry (the anti-Kara and looking extremely gorgeous). On to LA:

The show starts off with Ryan introducing the segment from his radio show. He stated that 10,000 people showed up, then later amended that 11,000 people showing up. 23 people from LA are moving through to Hollywood. I love how the main auditions happen one day and then the auditions before the judges happen a different day. I wish they would stop indicating it all occurs on one day. I think most people know that by now, why keep up the illusion.

1) Jim Ranger: The worship pastor from Bakersfield, Ca. He sang his own original composition "Drive". (There have been a lot of original compositions this year so far and a lot of them have been good.) Simon called him "authentic", Avril said "no" going to Hollywood. He definitely is a likable guy. 4.5/5

2) Mary Powers- 28- singer. I don't want to say the song she sang was predictable but when I first saw her I thought she has that Pat Benatar look. She sang Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield". That's a great song, but Pat Benatar has a million great songs, why do the "Idol" wanna bes usually pick that song? 3.5/5 (Other great Pat Benatar songs: my favorite "We Live For Love". There's also "Heartbreaker", "Hell Is For Children", "We Belong", "Promises In The Dark", "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and "Fire and Ice".)

That's all they showed from a very lackluster Day 1, which includes Avril Lavigne's performance as a judge. For having a lot of songs with attitude, I expected a lot more of that at the auditions. I was very disappointed by her. Day 2, features guest judge Katy Perry. She has been one of the best guest judges of the season so far.



3) Andrew Garcia -23- sang Maroon 5's "Sunday Morning" and I thought he did a pretty good job. Simon called him "a genuinely good singer" and I agree. Kara Disregardia said that Garcia knows what to "empesize". I had to go back and watch it twice to make sure she really said that. (Thanks to mjsbigblog.com to be able to link to all the audtions.) Kara said "empesize" twice. I think she meant emphasize. I actually looked up the definition of "empesize". According to badenglish.com (not a real site) empesize means "When Kara Disregardia tries to show her intelligence and instead it backfires and shows her utter lack of intelligence." Kara it's time to go away. I have no idea how "AI" can bring her back for another season. Andrew 4/5. Kara 0/5.

4) Tasha Layton- personal assistant by day, minister by night. She sang Joss Stone's "Baby, Baby, Baby" and did a great job. Just like Andrew above, she received 4 yeses as well. I have high hopes for her. 4.5/5

Then they show Kara and Katy disagreeing on several contestants. My favorite Katy comment was "This isn't a Lifetime movie, sweetheart". (That was a paraphrase.) I also liked how Katy used one of Kara's words. She likes to use such words as "honey" or "sweetie" when she's about to deliver a unhappy critique. Kara is just an idiot. I loved Katy I thought she's intelligent and offered good critiques and rebuffed clueless Kara.

5) Chris Golightly -25- shoe salesman. He's the poor kid who has been in and out of foster care since he was 18 months. He says he was with about 25 different families while in foster care. That's pretty awful, even if he may be exaggerating a bit. It seems like he came out of it alright. I do wish "AI" would tone down the back stories a bit. Can't we just tell their stories without all the sap. Here's another idea let the contestant reveal those sings where and when they want. Katy and Simon both gave him small "y's". Then both Randy and Kara gave him bigger y's. I don't think he will last long in Hollywood and he definitely is not your next "American Idol". 3.5/5

A very easy Top 5.

1) Tasha Layton: Joss Stone's "Baby, Baby, Baby". I think she has the potential to go a long ways.
2) Jim Ranger: he sang his own original composition "Drive". He seems like an extremely likable person. I have high hopes for him.
3) Andrew Garcia: Maroon 5's "Sunday Morning". He was the third and last fantastic audition in my opinion.
4) Chris Golightly: Ben E King's "Stand By Me".
5) Mary Powers: Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield". She stole Benatar's look and sang her song. I think that's about the last we will hear from her.

I wish they would have shown some of the other good auditions from LA. I wish they would just show good auditions, unless the audition was really funny. For instance, General Larry Platt's "Pants On The Ground" or Norman Gentle from Season 8. If I was the producer I would focus on the actual singing and less on everything else.

Dallas with special guest judges Neil Patrick Harris (yeah!) and Joe Jonas (is he always that boring?) They have Neil Patrick Harris 40 minutes and Joe Jonas' segment was only 20 minutes. ew.com counted and his total contribution: 40 words.

1) Lloyd Thomas sang the great Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed". I liked his singing. Unfortunately the sound was working when Randy was talking. He was saying his usual inane things like "positively jumping off" and a "billion percent yes". It's nice to get excited, but do you have to do it in such idiotic fashion? Lloyd 4/5, Randy 0/5

2) Kimberly Carver: one of the many who sang an original composition. It seemed like she was about to get to the chorus when Simon cut her off. He then made his comment about "good if this was Jazz TV". He said she wasn't original, what the heck? I don't hear anything on the radio like that. For this show she may be too original. Randy said "she can blow", what does that mean? Randy always likes to seem like he's current and says inane things like "you can blow". He doesn't seem cool, he seems like the luckiest guy in the world to get and keep this job. Although I did agree with Randy, one of the few times, when he kept on telling Simon that it's a singing show. Randy will you please tell the producers that too. I liked Carver a lot and look forward to seeing her more in Hollywood. Kimberly 4.5/5, Simon 1/5, Randy 2/5

3) Erica Rhodes, whips and boots come included. I'm not sure what she was doing with the whole dominatrix outfit. She's the former "Barney" kid. I actually liked her version of the "Barney" song better than her torture of the great En Vogue song. I went and listened to the En Vogue's version, to erase Rhodes weak version from my mind. En Vogue sounds so good on that song. Whatever happened to En Vogue, their first CD was so good. Erika 3/5 En Vogue 5/5 Simon's mind 0/5

4) Dave Pittman, he's afflicted with Tourette's Syndrome. "AI" is using that for his back story. I liked how Neil Patrick Harris brought it up with class. He pointed out that Pittman doesn't have to deal with it while singing. He also complimented how Pittman handles it without being condescending. I would love to see NPH take over for Randy, Shania for Kara and keep Ellen next season. A three judge panel would be the best. Anyway I thought Pittman's voice was okay. He sang Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me". 4/5 NPH 5/5

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites