Monday, January 18, 2010

Good books and movies, Mallorie wowary



Another picture of the gorgeous chick from Winner, S.D. with one hell of a voice!

Hello,

Welcome to my 400th blog post.

It's being reported that the Dallas Cowboys are bringing back stumbling, bumbling fool Wade Phillips. He of the 1-5 playoff record, although he's off to a blazing 1-2 start in Dallas. That includes his first and possibly last playoff victory. Oh good and he'll be leading my team again next season. Phillips is a great defensive coordinator but a poor head coach. Consider this stat he has won more NFC titles than playoff games, 2 vs. 1. That's hard to do. As a head coach he's not a winner. He's much like Norv Turner in that he's just not a winner as a postseason head coach. People in the NFL know these things about these kind of coaches, so why do they keep on getting hired?

I read about the first third of Dave Eggers' "The Wild Things" and I think I'm going to give up now. This is his literary adaptation of Maurice Sendak's "Where The Wild Things Are". I've read the first 75 pages and I just kept on waiting for something to happen. We know Max's mind but when is the story going to start?

I then started reading Lee Child's "Gone Tomorrow", it's one of his Jack Reacher novels. I'm liking it so far, the story starts right at the start of the book. Child grabs you by hand and pulls you into the plot of the book. It's pretty good and a fast paced book but a little light. This is the perfect summer book to read on the beach. This is my first Jack Reacher novel and I will read more.

My lovely wife and I are going to go watch "The Blind Side" today, we look forward to it. We also watched the very good "500 Days of Summer" starring the lovely Zooey Deschanel. A very enjoyable movie with great characters, great acting and very good acting by Deschanel and Joseph Gorden-Leavitt.



If you love "American Idol" as much as me, then you'll be glad to hear that ew.com's "Idolatry" is back. It features Micheal Slezak and Kristin Baldwin (both the good and the bad Kristin). This show is sometimes more entertaining than the real show itself. Check out the first 6 episodes now at ew.com.

Lastly, I tried to broaden my horizons and listened to Mary J. Blige yesterday. I listened to about 10 of her songs and left unimpressed with her. I'd never heard any of the songs before and most of those songs were boring. I also hate how the producers call in rappers to rap over the song. That rarely adds anything to the song, in fact it usually makes the song worse.

She has one song that I like, it's called "Good Love". It's got the great line, "Is this the first time that you heard this song?". Why yes Mary it is! In the all-time pantheon of great female r & b/ soul singers I would rate Blige far behind Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys, Erykah Badu, Fantasia, Alexis Grace, Anita Baker, Lauryn Hill, Janet Jackson, Neneh Cherry, Jennifer Hudson and many others. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the awesome Rihanna. She may be a music legend and a diva but there are many better artists than her IN MY OPINION. Please feel free to disagree with me.

Upcoming "AI" tomorrow is from Chicago with Shania Twain as the guest judge. Let's hope she brings a little more to the table than Blige or Victoria Beckham.

Have a great day, themusicaddict

1 comment:

Thaddeus said...

*sighs* I'm sure you knew I would return...1st off, In the song "Good Love" that line is NOT in the song at all...so, you FAILED!

Second, What makes Mary a legend is her earlier work. She's called the queen of Hip-Hop Soul for a purpose.
She credited for creating the melody Alicia & Eyraka is singing.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW CAN SOMEONE TALK ABOUT MUSIC AND NOT KNOW THE HISTORY BEHIND IT.

I've shown your blog to a few friends and they agree that nothing you say is VALID and you should DELETE this blog.

Your constant HATE towards someone who's making QUALITY music and is her own artist makes me wonder that your blinded by society.

Mary has albums that have made the best albums of alltimes, from rolling stones to Entertainment magazine.

It's clear your NOT a "music addict" your just some cheesy guy who THINKS he know's music...smh.

I hope you take heed and listen to Mary's earlier work, study it, & see how her music style influenced the quality sounds you hear today. After Mary's 1st album EVERYONE duplicated that "Hip-Hop Soul" sound...EVERYONE!

That is all!

Favorites