Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chicago "AI" auditions part 2

Hello,

2) Charity Vance of Little Rock, Arkansas. She's a high school student and works at her parents home salon. She sang the Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald classic "Summertime". That's one of the most over sung songs in "American Idol". Randy said that she has a "little voice". He's right about that. That was his one coherent thought of the episode. She's aiight, about typical for the Chicago auditions. There were no break out contestants in this episode. 3.5/5

3) Angela Martin- 28- appearing for her third consecutive year on "AI". She sang Mary J. Blige's "Just Fine". I loved Angela as she began singing the song, but she started going down hill near the end of the song. Last year she reached the Top 50, only to have to drop out to take care of a speeding ticket. I hope she is not this season's Lil Rounds, Martin seems like she has a much better attitude.

Those were the worthy singers from Day 1, it truly was an awful day. Day 2 didn't start out much better. Among the bad auditions was Carly Newbern's "A Woman's Worth" which wasn't worth much. However he had more class than most rejected "Idols". He seems like a very cool guy. Next we had Alannah Halbert's torturous version of "I Will Always Love You". Please don't!:) The next contestant at least, and at worst, was entertaining. That's the former army grunt Brian Carlson. You knew it was a joke when he said Tiny Tim was "one of my favorite artists". He acted all humble and called the male judges Mr. Cowell and Mr. Jackson. Singing 0/5, entertainment value 2/5. As I write this I'm laughing, he was intentionally bad. Next they showed more bad auditions.

4) Finally we got to John Park. He made Shania swoon, talking about his "bottom end", his lips and head. To paraphrase Shania's own song, "man he made her feel like a woman". (To be fair, when Shania was talking about his "bottom end", it was a reference to his singing.) He received 4 yeses from the judges. When deciding about if Park was going to Hollywood, Simon asked Shania her opinion then wryly noted we already know. (Simon I'm going to miss you. His leaving will put the final death knell in "Idol". It's a show that has gotten stale and it's time for it to leave the air. America next year will be the last season for you to strut your stuff, before the show goes off air or becomes irrelevant.) Park did a good job on Blood, Sweat and Tears' "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know". I could see him doing pretty well in this competition. 4.5/5

5) Paige Dechaussne- 21- she has battled asthma for a long time. She sang Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come". That's another extremely over sung song on "AI". Her version was alright, but she comes off as more than a little desperate. 3 of the 4 judges said "yes". I don't see her lasting long in Hollywood. My rating a generous 4/5.

Next were quick snippets of three contestants who made it to Hollywood:

6) Justin Ray who sang Whitney Houston's "Why Does It Hurt So Bad". He was good enough to make it to Hollywood, but another contestant that I don't think will last much longer. 3.5/5

7) Marcus Jones sang Edward McCain's "I'll Be". The original version is so much better. He did receive 4 yeses from the judges though. 3.5/5

8) Keith Semple sang Bryan Adams "Heaven". I'm a big Bryan Adams fan and I love this song. I also like Semple's version of this song. I like how he brought his guitar with him, although he did seem to use it as bit of a security blanket. This is the type of singer I can get behind, although I hope he does pick more current songs. My grade for him is actually based on his potential rather than this one performance. 4/5

My very hard to put together Top 5 from this audition, this was just so hard as there were no standouts. Previously we had such obvious stand out contestants as Luke Shaffer, Ashley Rodriguez, Jermaine Sellers and Mallorie "Wowary" Haley.

1) Katelyn Epperly: Duffy's "Syrup and Honey"
2) Angela Martin: Mary J. Blige's "Just Fine"
3) John Park: Blood, Sweat and Tears "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know".
4) Charity Vance: Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong's (and Fantasia of course) "Summertime".
5) Keith Semple" Bryan Adams' "Heaven".

Again I hope these five contestants show something in Hollywood or they are going to be lost to history pretty quickly.

Next up is the Florida auditions with Kristin Chenowith as guest judge. Thankfully I've read this is a much better episode than Chicago. This episode has several great candidates I read, including Matt Lawrence. I hope to be able to watch this episode tomorrow and write about it on Saturday.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites