Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What is "X Factor"

Hello,

With Simon Cowell announcing he's leaving "AI" to bring "X Factor" to the USA, I'm wondering what are the differences?

From people.com

"How Is The X Factor Different From American Idol?
Both The X Factor and American Idol hold public auditions and air highlights of the good and bad performances. In last year’s X Factor, though, the auditions were held before a live audience. One key difference between the shows is that The X Factor accepts groups and duos in the competition; the show also takes contestants age 16 and over with no upper limit, while American Idol caps the age at 28.

“I don’t like rules,” Cowell said. “A lot of people over the years like to audition for Idol but were too old. I listened to that. Susan Boyle is the reason why I like to do shows without age. Without a show like [Britain's Got Talent], she would never have landed a recording contract and that’s what these shows can do … That’s why record labels are out of touch. It’s supposed to be David versus Goliath. That’s what I like about the format. Right now, who has the biggest X-factor in the world? Lady Gaga. [I would] love to find someone like that.”

Hollywood Round vs. Boot Camp: On American Idol, contestants who get a “golden ticket” to Hollywood then sing in groups or solos with some assistance from a vocal coach to further impress the judges, who then whittle them down to a top 24. The public then votes after watching the 24 perform and eventually settle on a top 12.

On The X Factor, the contestants who survive the first auditions are divided into groups and handed over to the judges, who then become their mentors. They are taken to different houses to study and train with their respective judge. After a few more cuts, boot camp ends with 12 acts ready to compete for the votes from viewers at home.

While both shows reward the victor with a recording contract and monetary prize based on a public vote, the judging along the way for The X Factor takes on a personal bent because the judges have worked so closely with the contestants and will defend their charges.

Cowell, however, believes there is room for both formats. Remarking on his departure from Idol, he says, ” It will be fine. It’s time and it’s fine. And American Idol will go on.”

Here are some highlights from the last "X Factor".

The following is Olly Murs and thumbs up from themusicaddict for singing a Stevie Wonder song, in other words The Man.



I like the "twist" on this Britney Spears song. In fact I think this version is much better than Spears' version.



I really like this guy.



I like this version of this song, I just wish she would have powered it up a bit.



This is the guy who won this last season's of "X Factor", did you notice that nearly all of them sing songs from American artists. I wonder why they don't pick songs from British singers, they have some pretty good singers there.



Here's probably the most famous of all the people from "X Factor". I never thought I would hear someone sing "I Will Always Love You" as well as the Queen, Whitney.



I will be back with a review of Season 9, episode 1 tomorrow. It may not be a full review. As much as I get written depends on how much time I have.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites