Saturday, January 23, 2010

"AI" Orlando audtions, Lady Gaga

Hello,

The Orlando auditions were a little bit better than Chicago's audition. They still weren't overwhelming. Kristin Chenoweth was okay as a judge, but Kara and Randy were awful as usual. Kristin was only there for one of the two days. Thank goodness for Simon. I don't blame him for leaving after this season, maybe he can find some other judges that can actually judge. He does do all the heavy lifting with this set of judges. I just don't know how you turn down $100 million, of course he thinks he can make more. For my auditions reviews my policy is I only write about the good auditions or the very creative auditions.

31 people from Orlando made it to Hollywood. Did any of them make it to Hollywood? To find out go to mjsbigblog.com, but don't tell me.

1) Seth Rollins -28- Lakeland, Florida. He sang the song of the night "Someone To Watch Over Me" by Frank Sinatra. I loved his interpretation of that classic. (I have Allison Iraheta's version of that same song on my computer.) He has a really nice, smooth voice. He seems like a very personable and likable person. I hope we see a lot more of him. He received 4 yeses. 4.5/5

2) Jermaine Purifoy- 28- this is his second chance at "AI". I'm not sure how he did not make it through the first time because he has a nice voice. He sang the Michael Jackson/ Charlie Chaplin song "Smile". I liked his performance but this has got to be one of the most boring songs of all-time. 4/5

3) Shelby Dressel -18- recent high school grad. She sang Norah Jones "Turn Me On". She has a nice story about learning how to deal with her facial paralysis. She got through to Hollywood. I agree with Simon when he said he wasn't "blown away". Good luck to her in life because I think she's going to be one of the first cuts in Hollywood. 3/5

4) Jay Stone: beat boxer/ singer. He's says he does things that Blake Lewis doesn't with the beat boxing,(And?). They had to remind Randy Jackson of Blake Lewis's name. I mean is Jackson awake through half of these shows. Stone beat boxed the Beatles "Come Together" and sang Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine". Simon said "no". Kara said "yes" then talked Randy into saying "yes" as well. Kara used the reasoning "you know you want to see that in Hollywood". 3/5

5) Janell Wheeler- 24- Tampa, Fl. She sang a pretty good version of The Animals "House of the Rising Sun". After hearing her very good performance of this song, I bought it from napster.com. I really think she could go a long way. 4/5

6) Brittany Star James -23- Coral Springs, Fl. She sang Estelle's "American Boy", a song I'm not familiar with. I thought her performance was too jittery. 3.5/5

7) Kasi Bedford -19- Seminole, Fl. She sang Bonnie Raitt's "Something To Talk About". Raitt's version is fantastic and she has such a great voice. Bedford's version was aight. Randy liked the rasp in her voice, I understand but dawg she's just aight. 3.5/5

8) Cornelius Edwards- 24- He went to the Kara Disregardia school of lack of music knowledge. Remember last season she couldn't remember old vs. new Aerosmith. Edwards split his pants as he was singing "Proud Mary", the Ike and Tina Turner classic. Cornelius, the song is not called "Rollin'". If it wasn't for his split pants, he might not have made it to Hollywood. 3/5

9) Bernadette Desimone -27. I liked her best of the two sisters. I think she has the better voice and she picked the better song. She sang Ray Charles' "Hit The Road Jack". A song I bought off of napster.com as well. 4/5

10) Amanda Desimone-23. She sang Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". It was okay. Amanda support your sister when you get cut. Please don't be like Lauren Sanders. 3.5/5

11) Matthew Lawrence- 25- Stark, Fla. He robbed a bank when he was 15 and spent 4 years in jail. That seems to be a bit of an egregious penalty. He received a lot of post show hype and I don't know if he lived up to it. I thought his performance was a little lackluster. He could be one of those annoying contestants that the judges and producers love. They then hype him to death, i.e. Danny Gokey. An example Paula's constant love fest towards Danny Gokey last season. I thought the song he chose, Ray Lamontagne's "Trouble", is boring. Lamontagne's original version is also dreadfully boring. (Thanks to lala.com to be able to hear the full version of that song free.) I hope I'm wrong about him being one of those annoying contestants. He seems like he's a cool guy. Simon called sending him to Hollywood his "easiest yes". Randy and Kara called him "one of the best". (Why do those two like to say the same thing as each other?) 3.6/5

My Top 5 contestants from Orlando:
1) Seth Rollins: I just loved his performance, talk about picking the perfect song.
2) Bernadette Desimone sang a good version of Ray Charles' "Hit The Road Jack".
3) Jonell Wheeler did a very good version of The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun".
4) Cornelius Edwards sang Ike and Tina Turner's "Proud Mary".
5) Jay Stone, #5 for his version of the Bill Withers classic "Ain't No Sunshine".

Picking the top three was very easy for me, the bottom 2 not so easy.

As I wrote yesterday I'm really digging Lady Gaga right now, here's the video of two of her best songs. The first is obviously is "Poker Face". She was on 20/20 and she actually seems pretty down to earth, she could lose some of the kookiness though. She also is much more attractive when she is just herself, not Lady Gaga. (Sorry about the lame PCD promo.)



"A Bad Romance" sorry about the lame Piccadilly commercial.

height="340">

Let's hope the auditions get better from here on out. I can't wait until Hollywood Week. Tuesday is a 60 minute audition from LA with guest judges Avril Lavigne and Katy Perry. Wednesday's show will be pushed back by President Obama's State of the Union speech. That night's show is from Dallas. Another 60 minute episode with guest judges Joe Jonas and Neil Patrick Harris. (I'm hoping that Harris can be a good guest judge.)

I also have to admit to a mistake, I was listening to napster.com yesterday and one of the songs I listened to was Kris Allen's "Live Like We're Dying". I was surprised in that it wasn't I a wimpy, boring song. It's actually a pretty good song. Thank you Kris for not having that piece of crap "No Boundaries" song on your CD. I'm glad he has "Heartless" on his CD though, that was one of the highlight's of last season. That's in spite of me not being a big Kris Allen fan. This CD reminds me a lot of Jason Mraz/ Rob Thomas. The songs start sounding the same after the first few songs though.

I refuse to listen to Adam Lambert's debut CD, he's a creature of hype.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites